1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel (Sharepoint) Read-Only Column Problem

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Gregor1234, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gregor1234

Gregor1234 Thread Starter

I've downloaded data from Sharepoint Excel Services into an Excel spreadsheet.

The data ultimately comes from a DB maintained in Sharepoint.

I need to be able to enter numbers into the cells after downloading.

But when I try to enter data, I get an Excel error saying "The {name of column here} is a read-only column that cannot be modified."

The Sharepoint developer and I are both trying to find out why this happens and how to prevent and/or work around it.

I cannot unlink the data because it needs to be re-synchronized back up to the Sharepoint DB.

The Sharepoint developer is trying to find out the correct settings in Sharepoint to prevent the lockout from occurring.

(When she tries it, she *is* able to edit the data in the cells).

For my part I am approaching this from the other end to see if there is any way to unlock it once I've downloaded it into Excel.

Anyone familiar with this?

I have absolutely no experience with protecting ranges or sheets or making things read-only or not in Excel.

(When I view the data directly in Sharepoint I am able to edit the data. I obviously have the correct permissions on that end when interacting directly. It's just the downloaded version that I can't change.)

2. foxydude

foxydude

3. Gregor1234

Gregor1234 Thread Starter

Thank you for your time and effort in searching for an answer.

I'm not sure the problem is exactly the same as the one described in the blog since I can write to cells in the spreadsheet (as long as the're not one of the ones I've populated from the Sharepoint query)

Given that the fix described involves installing foreign programs and diddling with the registry, I'm sure I would incur the wrath of the IT folks for trying it but I will certainly keep a link to this fix. I the case that all else fails I will get the IT folks to give me test machine to try this out.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/815167

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice