1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel & simple version control

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by tnomal, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tnomal

tnomal Thread Starter

Here's the problem:

A) 2 or more people using an Excel spreadsheet
    and forgetting to close it, thus no one can close it / access it.

B) Excel being updated by 2 people and the changes are current.

Any simple solutions suggestions?

Thanks,
    LaMont

2. The Villan

The Villan

For step B, couldn't you have one nominated person to do all the input?

That way, when all the data has been input, you could send each one of them and updated file thats independant. You would retain the only spreadsheet that would be used for official purposes.

I had to do something like that many years ago for the very same reason. So I set up a system whereby the only person who could update it was on of the people that worked for me. The other people sent me all the updates and I gave them to my input person and it was then sent to the other people for verification. They were made responsible for feeding back any errors.
    It worked great.

Just a thought for what its worth.

3. djjarvis

djjarvis

You could try Tools --> Protect and Share workbook.

While in a "Shared" state, certain operations are not possible, like merging cells, deleting blocks of cells (whole rows or columns can be deleted / inserted though).

But changes made by several users simultaneously are combined when the workbook is saved and unless two people change the same cell, it is transparent. If they do change the same cell you can either have "latest change wins" or a prompt to choose which change should be saved.

4. The Villan

The Villan

Used to do that djj, but got hacked off with the arguments and in fighting amongst the staff, which is why,I took data input away from them and gave it to one person.
    Helped the blood pressure considerably :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/885499

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice