1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel speed on a secondary computer is slow!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Becaphipps, Jan 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Becaphipps

Becaphipps Thread Starter

I seem to have a problem with the speed of my excel program and its willingness to move between cells in a timely manner. My computer is on a network and is not the main, however, all programs on my computer are stand alone programs (Individually installed). We simply share the data (Files) between them. Lately my excel program has been slow to respond to commands. (Type in one cell and tab over to continue typing in another cell and it takes a moment for the curser to catch up.) Although there are quite a few programs where data is shared, Excel seem to be the only one affected. Have talked with Gateway (OEM installed Office 2003) with no luck in solving the problem. Repaired and Reinstalled....still no change. Even tried unhooking the router. This did eliminate the problem, however, I need the shared files on the network. We did switch the ports around to make sure the the router wasn't bad and experienced the same problem no matter what port we were in. No other computer is experiencing the same problem, just mine.
    Running windows XP 2002 (SP2) and on a Linksys router network.and if I am reading it right, 71ghz mem.

Please Help!

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

We simply share the data (Files) between them. Lately my excel program has been slow to respond to commands. (Type in one cell and tab over to continue typing in another cell and it takes a moment for the curser to catch up.)

Does this only happen on networked files? I.E. if you create a file on your own PC is it normal speed or is this slow as well?

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

There is a Service Pack for Office 2003. Not sure what that fixes but it sounds more like this is network related.

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

5. Becaphipps

This problem happens on shared and non-shared items.

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

I am failing to see how a non shared local file opening slow in excel is at all related to a network issue. But it seems even stranger that removing the network cable makes it run fine.

Are you sure you have not picked up some kind of virus/ad-ware/Spyware that may be causing the PC to act strange when ocnnected ot the internet? I think I would start this route first before thinking this is a networking problem.

Maybe run Ad-Aware and clean all that is there, Spybot and clean all that is there, and and antivirus scan on the PC and then lastly post a hijack this log.

7. Becaphipps

Ran spybot last week when the problem started along with another spyware clean-up. Didn't help. Don't know how to post hijack log. In talking with the computer manuf. the seem to think that my Router might be overwhelmed. Linksys 4 port w/cable. 4 ports filled w/3 comps. & 1 printer. They seem to think that I need a bigger router (6 or 8 port). Or that the software needs re-installed. But with running Win XP....no need to install software.

8. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

The router can't be overwhelmed if your using a local nonshared file and opening it up locally there is NOTHING related to networking in this case. I.E. your local application is opening a local file and is putting all information on the local PC there is no network communications for it to be overwhelemed with.

You just said -
    but in a prior post you said -
    I am getting confused as you mention you have tried a reinstall and a repair but then you say its not needed. Can you tell us if you have or have not uninstalled All of the Microsoft Office Suite and reinstalled it OR if you have put in the service pack updates?

9. Becaphipps

Gateway said to uninstall and reinstall Linksys software. I had already repaired and reinstalled Excel (all of Office). We get regular updates online for our Office programs. I'll have to see if the service pack was installed.

10. Becaphipps

Service pack was installed and the Motherboard was just replaced. Anybody know what else it could be?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435149

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice