1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel spreadsheet problem

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Healthworker, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Healthworker

Healthworker Thread Starter

Hi, Each time I calculate a formula on my excel spreadsheet the answer comes up as zero. I have never had this problem before so I not sure what has happened. The correct formula is in the cell but the answer shows as "0" instead of what it should be. It won't copy correctly either. It is driving me mad. Hope you can help. thanks:p

2. turbodante

turbodante

Welcome to the forum Healthworker.

My initail reaction to your problem is have you checked the cell's format? Rightclick > format cells > number

3. slurpee55

slurpee55

Just to give us an idea, what is the formula that is not working?

4. slurpee55

slurpee55

The thinking that Turbo has, I suspect, is that, say your formula is something like
    =(A1+A2)/100
    If A1=1 and A2=2, then the answer is 0.03.
    But if your cell is formatted as,say, 0, then all you will see is 0, because everything after the decimal is not shown. But a series of, say, 50 these "0" values would sum up to 1.5.

5. turbodante

turbodante

Well put slurpee.

My brain hadn't really engaged, at that time in the morning I consider it an achievement to communicate without grunting [GMT here.]

6. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hello, welcome to the board!

To check if your formula is returning a value which is correct, go to the Formula Auditing Tool. Depending on your version it's in different locations. If in 2003, go to the Tools menu, Formula Auditing, Evaluate Formula. If in 2007, click the Formulas tab, then look at the Formula Auditing group and click the Evaluate Formula button. Of course, the keyboard shortcuts work from 2003 in 2007 (they were all made forwards-compatible), so you can still use the keyboard shortcut if you'd like, Alt + T, U, F.

HTH

7. slurpee55

slurpee55

GMT and you are complaining? I'm 6 hours behind you! (Of course, you first posted to this thread about 7 1/2 hours ago, so.....)
    And Zack lives another 2 time zones later than me, I think...(I have no idea how he is aware of anything at this time, except he is sooooo young....) :D

8. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Oh I'm not aware of anything at this time. Nor usually at any time. I'm toooooo young for that. ;)

9. slurpee55

slurpee55

"I am not young enough to know everything."
    - Oscar Wilde ;)

10. Healthworker

Healthworker Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your responses. My problem happening with every spreadsheet I opened so after trying everything I decided to reboot thecomputer. Would you believe the problem was gone so it must have been a clinch in excel itself.

11. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

LOL! Go figure. Glad it's working now though! :cool:

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/816221

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice