Excel SUM formulas don't add up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lleuadgirl

Hi all,

I'm sure this is the stupidest question ever but I've been trying to sort it out for about an hour, and I can't seem to get at the problem!

I'm filling in a timesheet made for me in Excel, with details of number of hours spent on each project over a period of days. At the end of each row is a total cell, with a formula in it that calculates the total. An example of this formula is =SUM(B16:AF16) where 16 is the row number. The formula works fine in some rows, but not in others - sometimes it just doesn't add up any of the numbers, sometimes it ignores all numbers below 1, so that when I've spent half an hour on something and entered 0.5 it just ignores the value. I've checked all the cells are in general format not text, and I know that the row numbers within each formula are correct - beyond that I'm baffled! Pleeeeeeease can someone enlighten me?!

Anne Troy

Anne
Put a 1 in any blank cell.
Copy it.
Select all your hour amounts.
Hit Edit-Paste special, Multiply.
This forces Excel to see the cells as containing numbers.

It's just a stupid Excel thing...

If that doesn't work, send the file to [email protected]

lleuadgirl

That's fixed it! Hooray! I'll remeber this for the future, so hopefully I won't be hassling you again too soon...

Anne Troy

Anne
LOL
Hassle all you want.

We call it "The Times One Fix"

If you search it on the web, you'll find it. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online