excel tool

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sentme_mail

hi,
i am looking for a tool which can compare the contents of 1 excel file with another and output the differences.

is there any tools available?
thanks

cybertech

Retired Moderator
I was working something similar today.

Had 3 worksheets of same data types. I combined them all and did a sort using 'unique' to see if there were any duplicates. When I found there were at least 8, I wanted to know how to find those 8 without doing it manually.

So I hope some of our Excel guru's will help. :D

There are various ways to approach this, notwithstanding XL is *not* a database application. The best way(s) will be dictated by your data structure, about which we have very little info.

"a tool which can compare the contents of 1 excel file with another" is about as vague as it gets. Is the format (layout) of the data in both files identical? XL has it's own tools, which can be jazzed up with code. Cybertech refers to "a sort using unique", there's no such sort option AFAIK (maybe you mean Advanced Filter -- Unique Records only?).

A pivot table with multiple consolidation ranges *might* be an option, and some of the tips here
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm
might be useful.

Please post back with more info.

Rgds,
Andy

cybertech

Retired Moderator
Originally posted by XL Guru:
Cybertech refers to "a sort using unique", there's no such sort option AFAIK (maybe you mean Advanced Filter -- Unique Records only?).
Yes, that is what I used which left me with 8 fewer entries than the original.

So what I wanted to know is what was dropped....

By "combined them all", you mean created a single list from all 3 lists?

Chip's formula in the column next door,

=IF(COUNTIF(A:A,A1)>1,"Duplicate","")

will flag all the dupes. Then you could just AutoFilter by "Duplicate" and avoid Advanced Filter altogether.

HTH,
Andy

cybertech

Retired Moderator
Thanks Andy -

By "combined them all", you mean created a single list from all 3 lists?
Yes, I did a copy/paste into a new sheet, then did the Advanced Filter -- Unique Records only

I will try the formula tomorrow, could be just what I'm looking for. I'll let you know.

(y)

cybertech

Retired Moderator
sentme_mail -

Sorry to have moved in on your post... Do you still need help?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts