1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

excel tool

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by sentme_mail, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sentme_mail

sentme_mail Thread Starter

hi,
    i am looking for a tool which can compare the contents of 1 excel file with another and output the differences.

is there any tools available?
    thanks

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

I was working something similar today.

Had 3 worksheets of same data types. I combined them all and did a sort using 'unique' to see if there were any duplicates. When I found there were at least 8, I wanted to know how to find those 8 without doing it manually.

So I hope some of our Excel guru's will help. :D

3. XL Guru

XL Guru

There are various ways to approach this, notwithstanding XL is *not* a database application. The best way(s) will be dictated by your data structure, about which we have very little info.

"a tool which can compare the contents of 1 excel file with another" is about as vague as it gets. Is the format (layout) of the data in both files identical? XL has it's own tools, which can be jazzed up with code. Cybertech refers to "a sort using unique", there's no such sort option AFAIK (maybe you mean Advanced Filter -- Unique Records only?).

A pivot table with multiple consolidation ranges *might* be an option, and some of the tips here
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm
    might be useful.

Please post back with more info.

Rgds,
    Andy

4. cybertech

Yes, that is what I used which left me with 8 fewer entries than the original.

So what I wanted to know is what was dropped....

5. XL Guru

XL Guru

By "combined them all", you mean created a single list from all 3 lists?

Chip's formula in the column next door,

=IF(COUNTIF(A:A,A1)>1,"Duplicate","")

will flag all the dupes. Then you could just AutoFilter by "Duplicate" and avoid Advanced Filter altogether.

HTH,
    Andy

6. cybertech

Thanks Andy -

Yes, I did a copy/paste into a new sheet, then did the Advanced Filter -- Unique Records only

I will try the formula tomorrow, could be just what I'm looking for. I'll let you know.

(y)

7. cybertech

sentme_mail -

Sorry to have moved in on your post... Do you still need help?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168799

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice