1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

excel truncating last digit after period

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by sjtrupp, Feb 19, 2020.

1. sjtrupp

sjtrupp Thread Starter

First Name:
    Steven
    I have used an excel file for years that will give me the entries for our accounting system. But this year, excel has decided that it knows better and won't give me 2 decimals. The problem is I have whole numbers for one type of entry and numbers that go out 2 decimals for another type of entry, the decimal is the last two digits of the year, so now it's ####.20. Excel drops off the 0 in nearly every way I can think to add it. The only way I've found so far is to change the format from general to text and then add the 0 to each and every line that needs it. Even after changing the column to text, If I use the find/replace, it will add the zero for just a moment, before Excel decides to remove it.

Has anyone figured out a better way to keep two decimals out if the last is a 0 and the formatting isn't set to 2 decimcals?

The column should look like

####
    ####
    ####
    ####.20
    ####.20
    ####.20
    ####
    ####
    ####.20
    ####.20

But it shows as

####
    ####
    ####
    ####.2
    ####.2
    ####.2
    ####
    ####
    ####.2
    ####.2

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Try applying this custom format to the cells you wish to always show two decimal places. It works for me in MS-Excel 2016.

Code:
    #0.00 

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1240514

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice