1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel/Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by carolynw, Jan 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carolynw

carolynw Thread Starter

Hi all - My boss has received an Excel file that was created in Office 97/Windows 95. He has Office 2000/Windows 2000 on his machine and is unable to open the file. I have the same setup as his and am also unable to open the file. The error message that pops up is in a Microsoft Visual Basic window and states "Error occurred while loading 'Sheet711111111111111111'. When you continue, the next error message is "Device I/O error". Any suggestions? I have tried to reinstall Excel 2000 with all the add-ins but to no avail. Several people in our company has switched to Windows 2000/Office 2000 and they are all having the same problem. It would be great if we could solve this one. Kudos to all of us if we do!

Thanks for all your input - as always it is appreciated.

Carolyn

If you need more info, please post what you need. Thanks!

2. downwitchyobadself

downwitchyobadself

3. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    This has nothing to do with the application and everything to do with the file.

When you copy worksheet after worksheet into the same file, instead of giving the worksheet Sheet4, Sheet5, etc., as SHOWN on the tabs, Excel is behind the scenes giving them Sheet41, Sheet51. Then you copy them again and it's Sheet411, Sheet511. Since most people copy sheet 1, 2, or 3, you inevitably end up with most of these errors being Sheet111111111111111......, but looks like you copied sheet7 first.

Well, the only way to get rid of this error is to select all of the sheets and copy them into a new workbook. That *resets* the behind-the-scenes sheet numbers. Better check other files while you have them. To view the *real* sheet numbers you must be in the VB Editor window. Just hit Alt-F11 to access it. On the upper-left you should see the project explorer window with (maybe) Book1, and then also YOUR file as:

VBA Project - Myfile.xls (or similar)

You will NOT want a plus + sign to the left of your filename. Open any other plus signs that fall directly beneath your file's name, but not on the same level as your file name. You will be able to see the behind-the-scenes sheet name there.

I believe that saving the file down to Excel 5.0, closing and reopening, will fix this, but you must be careful if you have actual macros in the file. That is, if you can open the file at all.

If you cannot open this file, I will be happy to give it a shot, all confidences kept. [email protected] Please just remind me who you are and what the problem is.

Microsoft has a little program that will fix this, among other things, but it looks pretty lengthy (contains lots more than you need) and I'd rather see you take another route, but check here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/appa/appa.htm

Hope this helps!

4. carolynw

carolynw Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your input, both of you! I have spent a busy morning working on this and it did work - partially. Dreamboat, I had to use the recovery tool as the user's machine gave out on me each time I tried to copy these sheets to a new workbook. The recovery tool worked great on 3 of her files, but now the situation gets tricky. The 4th spreadsheet is a compilation of the other 3 - once she updates those first 3, she minimizes them and runs the 4th, which is updated with links to the first 3. When I tried to run the recovery tool on the compilation file, it started but went into "not responding". I'm not sure what to try next. Everyone is happy, to a point, but I need to fix the 4th file to complete our success. Open to suggestions and if you still want the file, Dreamboat, I will probably have to send all 4 of them. Let me know your thoughts.

Again, you all have my undying gratitude.
    Carolyn

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Got your email. Send all you want/need. I will do my best!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66255

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice