Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Excel won't connect to printer

Solved 
22K views 132 replies 7 participants last post by  barbara123 
#1 ·
Hi. All of a sudden, Excel will not connect to my printer. I have reinstalled the printer, run office repair, drivers are up to date, and I can print from any other program. I am running Office 19 and recently updated to the latest version of Windows. Can you help?

#3 ·
Thought I could print from word but now i get a different error message on word.... "word can't print due to a problem with the printer setup".
Excel says, "unable to connect" and "print preview is not available because Microsoft excel could not connect to the selected printer". That's the case for everything in the print menu.

#6 ·
Sorry for jumping in James.
Can you click on Start and type in Control Panel press the Enter key.
When control panel opens if it is in category mode
click on View devices and printers - under Hardware and sound.
Your printer should have a green tick if not right click on the printer and choose set as default printer.
If you get a pop up box saying Windows will stop managing your default printer
Click Ok
Close office and reopen
Test

Attachments

#8 ·
Jump away @PeterOz :)

The reason i ask about connectivity is that we had the same issue but it was because the way we accessed the printers from our print servers changed so we got that error.

Another question I have @barbara123 is do you know if the printer has a static IP?

#12 ·
OK, from my experience, the issue was due to not being able to see the printer or printer share correctly.

Are you able to print from say Notepad or Paint to see if it's affecting them too? When you did a print test, that was from your computer / printer list?

#15 ·
Does the printer happen to be a Hewlett-Packard model?

We had networked printer not found or printer permission problems with our work desktops running Windows 8.1 and Office 2013 two days ago. The Print Troubleshooter could not find any repairable problems Reinstalling printer drivers seemed to correct the problem for us. Your mileage may vary with Windows 11 and your version of Office.

#22 ·
Try and repair office
  1. Exit all Office programs.
  2. Select Start, and then type add.
  3. Select Add or Remove Programs.
  4. Under Apps & features, select Microsoft Office Word.
  5. Select Modify.
  6. Select Online Repair, then follow instructions to repair the programs.

#35 ·
I know there have been weird issues during the whole PrintNightmare débâcle, with one of them being the inability to print unless one has Administrator privilege, so I thought this might be worth throwing in the pot.

I encountered a similar issue with one of our users and I ended up having to remove Office completely, reboot, and then reinstall to get it working again. I did use the MS Uninstall Tool, which you can download from this page, and that does a lot more than the simple uninstaller from Control Panel.

Also, for the sake of completeness and in order to understand better what we are dealing with here, please download and run the TSG System Information Utility on the affected PC, and then post the results back to this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.