1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel Won't Open From Most Folders

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by DavidP, Feb 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidP

DavidP Thread Starter

I have Windows 8.1 and Excel13. If I try to open any Excel file that is in its regular folder, or any folder other than Desktop, Downloads, or OS, I get the error message: “[name of file] is locked for editing/By ‘another user’/[etc.]”. I can open a Read Only version of the file and edit it, but I can't save it under its original name. I can just save it as a copy or under a new name.

However if I move the Excel file from its regular folder to the Desktop, the Documents, or the OS folder it I can open it normally.

(To rule out another open file causing the problem, I opened the Task Manager/Processes and did not find any other Excel file running. When I go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp there is no owner file.)

Thus to open and work on any Excel file and save it under the same name, I have to move it from its regular folder to the Desktop, open it and work on it, save it to the Desktop, and then move it back to its regular folder.

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Check the properties of the folder(s) in question to see if they have the READ ONLY attribute set at the folder level which would affect files and subfolders contained in them. Also disable the "File Preview" view in Windows explorer for any of the affected folders.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1166860

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice