Solved Excel wont remember to open recently open files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tom Seeley

I'm running Windows 10, and Excel 2013. I just upgraded to Win 10. Before I did so, I had no problems at all with Excel. Now that I've upgraded to Win 10, Excel no longer remembers my "recently opened workbooks".

I have gone to file/options/advanced numerous times, and, under "display", clicked on "show this number of recent workbooks" and also clicked the check box next to "quickly display this number of recent workbooks".

Each time I do that, while I am still using Excel, the display of recent workbooks is what I want. But invariably, after closing Excel, after I log off, then restart Windows, the next time I start Excel the check box is blank and there are no recently opened workbooks at all on the Excel start page!

Anyone have any clues what's wrong or how to make Excel do what I want?

Thx.

Tom

Tom Seeley

Yes. Regularly. Latest was today. As often as I run it it hardly ever finds anything needing removal. Also malwarebytes (nothing to report), avg2015 (same). Spyware blaster running 24/7 in the background. Nada.

Have you checked to ensure you haven't chosen the option for Office 2013? That clears out the Recent Files list in all the applications.

Tom Seeley

Hmmmm... Now that I don't understand. I am running Office 2013. R u saying that alone means IT just won't work under Windows 10 the way it did under Windows 8.1? I don't get what option you are referring to. It sounds like you're talking about something I need to do or undo in Windows 10, not in Excel. Pls clarify.

And thanks for continuing to help me.

Okay, you need to open CCleaner and look at the Applications list (see below). This is where you can chose to wipe the data pertinent to each application on the list. For example, if you have the Office option checked, one of the things it will do is clear out your Recent Files list.

CCleaner_Options.jpg

Tom Seeley

Aha! As Dilbert says, when the pointy haired boss makes one of his idiotic pronouncements, "this explains so much!"

Thank you. I didn't think of Ccleaner. I did have the Office 2013 option checked, and now I don't.

Tom Seeley

Hey! Cool! I just did what you said and ran ccleaner and presto, my recent workbooks survived! thanks again.

When I thought about it some more, I figured out that it was really only just two weeks ago, when a friend helped us decide to upgrade to Win 10, and he also reminded me that running ccleaner regularly is also a good idea, that I really did start running ccleaner frequently. So I guess that while I was still under Win 8.1, but not running ccleaner with the office 2013 option checked all that frequently, it really was blowing out my recent workbooks. Just not often enough that I noticed it as often as I have noticed it these past couple weeks.

Thx again!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online