1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel/Word Mail Merge

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by lynn_victoria12047, Jun 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lynn_victoria12047

lynn_victoria12047 Thread Starter

Using Windows 98, trying to do Excel to Word mail merge.
    Workbook name
    Main.xls
    Worksheet names:
    Board
    CLEC_Affliates
    ISP_Affliates
    MCC

I have named cell ranges on each of the sheets, and would like to use that information selectively for a variety of mail merges in Word. When doing the merge though, my only choice for Data source, is entire spreadsheet...and my "named" ranges do not show up? Any advice...named ranges are named in following manner:
    Board='Board'!$A1!Bx17 etc
    Any help would be appreciated, please cc the email to
    [email protected] as I will be working on this tonite at home too.
    Thanks
    Victoria

2. lynn_victoria12047

lynn_victoria12047 Thread Starter

Dear TSGF: No one ever answered my post, so I assume, as is always dangerous, that no one knew the answer. However, I figured it out even though it is not intuitively obvious from the MS standpoint! Here's the answer to my own question"

If you do not have Excel ODBC Drivers, Please install them in this way :

1) Click on Start --> Settings --> Control Panel

2) Select 'Data Sources (ODBC)' and press Enter key.

3) Goto 'System DSN' tab (3rd tab out of 7 tabs) in the "ODBC Data Source Administrator" dialog box.

4) Click on ADD.

5) Select 'Driver do Microsoft Excel (*.xls)' from select driver list box.

6) Click on Finish

Now you will see 'ODBC Microsoft Excel Setup' dialog box.

7) Type a name in 'Data Source Name' and click OK.

Now, Microsoft Excel ODBC Drivers are installed onto your system.

NOTE : You must install Excel ODBC Drivers prior to using mail merge facility.The Microsoft Excel ODBC driver must already be installed.

NOTE: In the Select Table dialog box, you will see all the tables in the workbook, not just the ones from the first sheet.

To connect to Excel using ODBC, follow these steps:

1) From the Get Data list, click Open Data Source.

2) Locate and select the Microsoft Excel file. In the Open Data Source dialog box, make sure that the Select Method check box is selected.

3) Click Open.

4) In the Confirm Data source dialog box, select "Excel Files via ODBC (*.xls)," and click OK.

5) In the Select Table dialog box, select a Named range from the list (the lists contains the available named ranges) and Click OK.

6) Edit the main document and continue with the merge process.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/46645

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice