1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel & Word wont open;Bad Day!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by justinconboy, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. justinconboy

justinconboy Thread Starter

When I open an Excel file I get the response "Unable to read file."
    I can open excel itself, but just no files. old or new.
    When I open Word it says "The file filename is unavailable"
    Then when I close it, it is telling me that "The file normal already exists. do you want to replace it?" if i click yes it goes away but still wont open my file next time. If i click no it tries to save in to the TEMPLATES FILE under NORMAL.
    My Norton Antivirus has also taken away my privileges so I can edit the updates and Norton Internet Security says that the file cannot be found when I click on the desktop icon. The Norton Internet Security icon has disappeared off my task bar.
    I've been trying to download updates for windows, but it wont alow me too!!!
    My lap-top is 6 months old, using xp, office 2003, I think..

This all happened today

I had a note come up at the bottom right saying I needed more virtual memory. ever since then my lap top has been messed up.

Please help!

Justin

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Howdy,

How much Space is left on the Hard drive and how much memory does the laptop have?

3. justinconboy

56 gig total 40 gig free

4. bonk

bonk Banned

OK, and what Memory does it have ?

How much memory does the PC have?
    • To see press Windows Logo key + Pause Break key together
    • At the bottom of the new screen you will see amount of Ram.

5. justinconboy

896megs of ram. i had 512 but got a tech guy to up it to 1024 (at a price of E70, by the way), he said the graphic card is using the other 128megs

6. bonk

bonk Banned

7. justinconboy

I first ran avg scan and then my lap-top crashed so I closed what i could and pulled out the battery. I put the battery back in and turned lap-top on. seems to be working. downloaded your exe.fix and tried method one. looks good so far. excel is working now. norton is back and word is opening. work is still asking me to save changes and save "normal" file. but it's working at least. I have service pack 2, do I need one for office? and do I need sp3?

8. bonk

bonk Banned

No if you are using Windows XP then SP2 is OK.

Their is a place with office open you can choose repair I believe.

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

justin, I've edited your first post, closed your duplicate thread. I'd HIGHLY suggest a review of the forum rules prior to you posting here again.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/563669

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice