excel

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tnelson42345

i have two seperate Excel files. can i copy and paste one into the other even the though the columns and rows are different sizes?

The collumns and rows will adjust to the file you are pasting into.
No data will be different I should not think as long as there are no formulas present.

yes it works.

Different sizes? as in the width and/or height?
No. The data will all be pasted into the cells. The widths and heights will accommodate. Either they will adjust automatically, or you can adjust the proportions by double-clicking the divider bar.

Different sizes? as in you have x cells wide and w cells tall?
No. Since when you select and copy those cells, when you go to paste you just select the top/left cell you want that data to be pasted starting at. That means you don't have to select the absolute top left cell, ... in can be any cell. But wherever you do select, the data will then fill in the cells from that selected cell and then right and down from that cell.

If you are using Excel 97 or above, you can actually copy or move the worksheet into a separate tab in your new file, thereby not losing any of your formatting.

To do this -- open both files. Have the "old file" which you wish to move, on the screen.

Right Click on the tab showing the name of the tab on the bottom of the sheet and select "Move or Copy". (The Default names are "Sheet 1", "Sheet 2", etc.)

A pop-up box called "move or copy" will open. In the first pull down box, choose the name of the file to which you wish to move this file. In the second pull-down box, select the name of the sheet in the new file which you wish to place the copied (or moved) sheet BEFORE (I always screw that up and end up moving things around).

If you wish to make a copy, check the box at the bottom that says "Create a copy."

Then select "OK."

Your file should then either move or copy, as you wish.

Good Luck!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online