1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

excel97, =today() and windows XP

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by JMS, Dec 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JMS

JMS Thread Starter

Does anybody have sollution for following problem?

I have excel97 and window XP installed. When I use =today() function on worksheet, it shows "today" correcty. But when I try to open saved worksheet, excel gives following warning:

" File.xls is already open. Reopening will cause any changes you made to be discarded. Do you want to reopen File.xls?
    Yes No "

In windows98 same excelsheet worked. Also if I don't use =today()-function no problem.

/ JMS

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Yep. You've got a bizaare one.

Are you saying that if you create a brand new file in Excel and type =today() in a cell that you're unable to save that file?

Or does this happen only in one file?

Also, =today() is more commonly used in Access, I believe. In Excel, it's generally =now()

3. JMS

JMS Thread Starter

Problem occours when I try to open just saved file. No problems reported when I save file.

I can repeate problem with all worksheets having =now() or =today() function.

/JMS

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Okay, so after you close a file--and have NO files in Excel open, but Excel is still running, hit ctrl-alt-del. In the task list, you should see Excel, but you should NOT see a file name behind it. Is there a file name behind it, such as:

Microsoft Excel - filename.xls

5. JMS

JMS Thread Starter

Problem solved!

Reason was confifuration for .xls file assosiation...

In Tools/Folder Options
    --> File Types
    --> XLS
    --> Advanced
    --> Open
    --> Edit
    --> Use DDE / DDE Message, conatained something like [open("%1")]

... which probably confused program, because Aplication path already contained %1

Windows XP propably noticed this because on instead of Advanced, it said Restore for extension. And after "restore" and removing [open("%1")] file opens OK.

/ JMS

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60536

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice