1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excell 2007 files and Excell 97-2003 compatability problems

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by GEOFF, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

My old Laptop had Office 2000. My new one Office 2007. A number of my old Excell files I have changed from 97-2003 format to the new one.

I burned a Excell file to a cd and put it on my wife's pc, but could not open it with her Excell 2000 and when I did open it it was in symbols, not text. My question is, do my files have to be saved as a 97-2003 format Excell file first before being sent to other people with earlier versions of Excell so they can open them? I had someone email me today that they could not open an Excell file i just sent from my new laptop that I have sent them for years every month from my old laptop.

And is the problem with only old files from my Excell 2000 in my Office 2007 or will I have this problem with even new files I create?
    Thanks.
    G

2. kama64

kama64

For people to open office 2007 files, with earlier versions need to install the Compatibility Pack http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...70-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&displaylang=en

So they either need to install that pack or you need to save the files as the 97-2003 format, which I would recommend, since not many people are using Office 2007

You can change the default save of a word or excel file to the 97-2003, its in the options, click on the Office icon and then click Word or Excel Options then Save

3. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

Ok, thanks. I think I will work in Office 2007 file format, but if I am sending out a file to someone, I will first save a duplicate copy in 97-2003 format and then send it. I assume a file I work with can be converted from 2007 to 97-2003 format anytime.
    G

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593827

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice