1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excell Formula Help

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by ksquared, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ksquared

ksquared Thread Starter

I'm new to building formulas and need some help. WHen I'm done building my formula the only thing that displays in the cell is the formula itself, not the results.

cell L2 contents: =IF(F2="",H2,F2)

what I'm attempting to do:
    if F2 is has no data, copy the contents of cell H2 into cell L2
    if cell F2 has data, copy the contents of cell F2 into cell L2

according to what I've read this formula should work. But when I hit <return> after the ), nothing happens. The contents of cell L2 shows my formula.

I hope I'm explaining this correctly. THanks

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Tools - options - view - make sure there is no tick in "Formulas"

3. maxflia10

maxflia10

The cell housing the formula maybe formatted as text. Click in the cell, go to Edit/Replace and replace = with =.

4. RHurlburt

RHurlburt

The formula works great here, however, if you use the "spacebar" to blank the cell, remember that it will return the "blank" to L2. If you select the cell and press "Delete", the formula will pick up H2. Just an FYI.

5. ksquared

ksquared Thread Starter

I did have the formula ticked (did this while trying to fix my problem). Un-ticking fixed the issue with none of my formulas working but not the formula in the spreadsheet I was working on. THe cell I was writing the formula in was formated as "text". Changed the formatting and issue resolved. THank-you both so very much. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222080

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice