1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excell Scrolling help

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by ksquared, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ksquared

ksquared Thread Starter

Hi, THis is driving me crazy. I want to hightlight a section of data in my spreadsheet. I'm hold down the left side of my mouse and move the mouse in a downward direction. Everything is highlighting just fine until I reach the the bottom of what's being displayed on my screen. THan it speeds up. So fast that I go right by the point that I want to stop at. I than try scrolling up and it does the same thing in reverse. Is there a way to control the speed when highlighting data.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The scroll speed is related to how far your cursor is displaced off the viewable area of the spreadsheet.

"only just" off and it should scroll slowly, "well off" and its fast.

Or, try using the down arrow after you get nearly to the bottom of the viewable area, but hold down the shift key at the same time.

Either way, its controllable.

You fail to mention the version of Excel and Windows however, and some relevance may be attributed to these.

3. ksquared

ksquared Thread Starter

I'm using Excell 2000. I've tried being just off the viewable area and can't seem to slow it down any. I tried holding down both the shift and down arrow (while still depressing my left mouse) and it doesn't change the speed. I tried increasing the cell size in the column I'm scrolling to try and get more viewabel space but to no avail. ANy other ideas?

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Shift and down arrow continue the selection you are making with the mouse, but do not require the mouse button to be pressed.

5. XL Guru

XL Guru

Further to kiwiguy, you might like to play around with the following options.

SHIFT+PageDown, switching to SHIFT+Up/DownArrow to "fine-tune" when you get near the bottom.

If there are no blanks, (i) hold down SHIFT (ii) press the End key (iii) press the DownArrow key (iv) release SHIFT.

Or doubleclick the bottom border of the top cell while holding down SHIFT.

Finally, to select the current region, CTRL+SHIFT+*

HTH,
    Andy

6. ksquared

ksquared Thread Starter

Perfect. THe data I'm highlighting is a single column, cells formatted as "number" so it's hard to postion my mouse to slow it down. I played around with all of the options and now have a nice selection of control at my disposal. THank-you very much. I really apprecaite the help. SUch a simple thing but oh so agrivating.

Cheers.

7. tbritches

tbritches

Another option is to select the top cell. Then scroll to the bottom cell (even if you go past it you can back track.) The hold the shift key and click in the cell.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223088

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice