1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"excellent" connection, but very slow speed?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by artchik, Mar 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. artchik

artchik Thread Starter

I will try to be as brief as possible if I can. Here is my network setup: I have 2 computers connected to a 2Wire Gateway (model #1701). Both are running XP Pro. One is a PC and it is hardwired to the gateway via ethernet cable, the other is a laptop and it connects wirelessly to the network. I also have a wi-fi enabled printer/scanner/copier that connects wirelessly to the network. When everything is running smoothly, both computers can see each other's shared files and also access the printer. However, after the laptop has been online for about an hour, the speed of the connection on the laptop starts to deteriorate. At its best, it runs at 54 Mbps, but begins to fall to 1 Mbps after a while. During this time, the wireless adapter icon in the system tray continues to indicate that the signal strength is "excellent", even when the speed has fallen to 1 Mbps. I have no problems with the PC that is hardwired to the gateway...it is only the laptop that is showing a problem. I don't know very much about wireless networking, and am unsure how to go about finding the source of this problem. Since the gateway is also a firewall, I have disabled the firewall software on both the PC and the laptop, hoping that would provide a solution to my connection problem, but no joy. Can anyone point me in a direction here to begin my investigation of what the problem could be?

2. DBClark

DBClark

It sounds as though you have everything up and configured ok. With the type of problem you are having, the first step I would make, if you haven't already done so, is to check for firmware update for the router, and the lastest drivers for the wireless adapter on the laptop.

If you need a hand with that, or this doesn't correct your problem, then please post back with the router model and version, and the wireless adapter make and model.

Also, if you don't have XP patched to SP2, I would highly recommend that.

3. artchik

artchik Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for the quick reply, DBClark! I just got DSL and set this network up about a month ago, so I didn't think that the router would need a firmware update already, but I will look into doing that. Both computers are patched to SP2--I forgot to mention that the first time. If my problem still persists, I'll be buggin' y'all again. :D

4. kevblah

kevblah

Well, router's come in retail packing usually with 1.0 firmware. Shortly after release, company's come out with new firmware. Just because it's new, doesn't mean it's the latest firmware. And also, if you're using integrated wireless, try buying a wireless network card. We have a D-Link router set up at our house, my computer is hardwired. 3 wireless desktops in the house, and 2 wireless laptops, one of the laptops is equipped with a nice d-link 108mbps card, very nice connection and speed, but also because we're running off a 6megabit connection...

5. artchik

artchik Thread Starter

I am new to wireless networking, and so some of what you are talking about is whizzing right over the top of my skull.:confused: You asked me if I am using "integrated wireless"...I am not sure exactly what you mean, but the router is both a DSL modem and also a wireless access point in one unit. My PC and laptop both have wireless network adapters installed...so I am not sure how I would use the wireless network card. Please forgive my ignorance. Would the wireless network card be installed on the router somehow?

Finally, I did go to the web-based interface page for my router and saw that the software was the latest version, with no upgrades available. Is this software and "firmware" the same thing?

6. kevblah

kevblah

Don't worry about it buddy. Let me explain. Laptops either come/or do not come ready for wireless networks. Some have the 'wireless thing' on the inside. Some are in the form of cards that you plug into the side of the laptop. Firmware would be the version your router is running on, software would be in a program form on your computer.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    artchik, if your laptop has an integrated wireless adapter (no card sticking out of the PCMCIA slot; laptop came "wireless ready'), make sure you have the latest driver/utility from the laptop's manufacturer. Otherwise, make sure you have the latest driver/utility from the adapter's manufacturer.

Also check for other wireless networks on the same or close channel that could be interfering with the laptop.

8. artchik

artchik Thread Starter

My laptop does have an integrated wireless card installed, and I just upgraded the drivers for it as well as flashed the BIOS of the laptop so that everything is up to date now. So far so good...the connection is not losing speed yet. I never thought about updating the drivers of the wireless card, but that might have been what was needed. Thanks for all your help everyone!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/450705

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice