1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Exception error when shutting system down

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bear12767, Mar 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bear12767

bear12767 Thread Starter

I keep receiving this message when I shut down my system......"The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000008) occured in the application @ location 0x7c964ed1"
    I don't know what this is can you help me please?
    I have a dell dimension 4700c and I'm running windows XP with sp2
    Thank you

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Run eventvwr.msc and look in the Applications log for more info on the error.

You can double click those to read the description and there is a double paper copy icon you can use to copy and paste.

It might be helpful to post a HijackThis scanlog:

Download and install HijackThis using the "self extractor". Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe

Nonetheless, unless there is obvious malware in the scan, you are probably going to have to do some "Clean boot" troubleshooting to isolate the application causing the error:

CLEAN BOOT TROUBLESHOOTING technique XP

To sort this out you wll need to do some "clean boot" troubleshooting.

First, restart in Safe Mode (tap the f8 key promptly on startup and choose the Safe Mode option from the boot menu).

In Safe Mode, run msconfig and select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup group" on the general page.

See this link for detailed information:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310353

Now restart and test the issue at hand

If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Test again. If the problem recurs, UNcheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.

If the problem didn't occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled -- proceed to do this on the startup tab as well.

Get the idea? You want to isolate the problem to a specific startup if possible.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!