1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excessive CPU Usage When Idle

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cwilmot, Sep 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cwilmot

cwilmot Thread Starter

IN recent weeks I have commenced experiencing what appears to be a "hogging" of my resources. It first manifested itself during typing of simple email messages. One or 2 lines of type on the monitor screen would follow in sync with the keyboard and then, suddenly, the cursor would stop even though I continued to type. Sometimes it would approach as much as a minute before it would catch up to where I was on the keyboard. I also noted these interruptions in scrolling, in backspacing, etc. Today I was in Task Manager and noted that there were 51 processes listed and even though no programs were running the CPU usage indicator for one of the processes, "System Idle Process", was jumping back and forth between 00 and 100% (all the others were holding steady at 00 or thereabouts). I am networked (2 computers) with a router and builtin firewall. I'm also using Norton Anti-Virus and Zone Alarm Pro. Frequent scans for viruses show up nothing. I also frequently run Spybot & Destroy, Spy Sweeper, and Ad-Aware. So I don't believe it's a result of hacking. What else could it be? Can someone tell me what the "System Idle Process" represents and what kind of readings should it be showing when nothing is running? I have a fairly fast processor (1.5 Gb), 256 MB Ram, and am running XP Pro.

2. Sponsor

3. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

System idle is supposed to be at 100 when nothing is running.

Do this, in the process tab click the CPU column twice and that will sort the processes in orer of highest usage. SYstem idle will normally be at the top, what else is there.

Oh, and break up your message, it is hard to read with no line breaks.

4. cwilmot

cwilmot Thread Starter

System idle ranged between 90 and 99; Taskmgr.exe was next fluctuating from

00 to 38; Big Fix.exe occasionally got into the action fluctuating from 2 to 8, or

so; and for the most part all the rest stayed at 00. Oh yes, there were a

couple of jumps to 2 or 3 by one or 2 others but that was about it.

5. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

6. cwilmot

cwilmot Thread Starter

7. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

Try this page

8. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/277664

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice