1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excessive email Netscape (6,000???)

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Dan Mc, Jan 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dan Mc

Dan Mc Thread Starter

I use win88SE and Netscape (my email is via cable one.net)....recently installed McAfee (reinstall of newerer program) and now have 6,000 emails (all old ones) and need to get rid of them so I can access and use email....HELP???

2. bhamlinda

bhamlinda

Can you contact Netscape and get them to delete the emails?

3. Dan Mc

Dan Mc Thread Starter

Nope....they charge 20 bucks to talk to you!

4. bhamlinda

bhamlinda

so your email is with your cable company? I think I misread. I am told your ISP can remove emails.

5. Dan Mc

Dan Mc Thread Starter

they can't....it is in netscape.....6,000 old msgs

6. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi Dan Mc

Could you clarify?
    Are these e-mails on the ISP's mail server or on your hard drive?
    How did you access the e-mails previously?

Sorry, I am not completely clear on what is happening.
    Has the installation of McAfee caused a problem?
    Is McAfee trying to scan all the e-mails?
    If so, have you tried disabling e-mail scanning?

7. Dan Mc

Dan Mc Thread Starter

My mail is from cableone.net but I access it through Netscape (as I always have). Under server settings in Netscape Mail/Newsgroups, it shows cableone.net on 127.0.0.1 (close enough)....the cable guys said change that to mail.cableone, net and user as my screenname....that works and I get only reg. email (10 or say a day as always).

However, after shut down, server settings (again in Mail/Newsgrouops in Netscape) reverts to the address with the 127.0.0.1 thing....I have to change it again!

I suspec this may be something to do with McAfee Internet Sec Suite 8....but have found no way to address it (might be a proxy thin to work around??)

8. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

It sounds like McAfee is scanning e-mails, disable e-mail scanning.
    Start Netscape Mail and News,
    Correct the Server settings in your e-mail account settings then download your messages.
    Close and restart Netscape Mail and News and see if the server settings have changed.

Sorry, still not clear on where the 6,000 e-mail messages come into play, are they on the hard drive or on the web?. :confused:
    If they are webbased, login to the Netscape page using: http://webmail.netscape.com

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433859

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice