1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

excessive fragmentation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by valis, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. valis

valis Moderator Thread Starter

I don't know if this is the place to post this or not, but I reckon it's as good a place as any to start. One of our pc's on a small network has had repeated, excessive fragmentation. I run XP w/sp2, norton security, and regularly scan for ad/malware. Yet daily I still have to run either Windows defrag or Norton optimize disk. Both Norton and Windows report a frag level of around 35-40%. Again, this is a daily thing, and I don't know what would be causing it. I have scanned for trojans, viruses, and anything else, and still can't get it stopped.

Any input will be greatly appreciated, and if this is the wrong forum to post in, my apologies.

Best regards, and thanks in advance.

2. brite750

brite750

are large files or programs being installed and deleted frequently?, fragmentation isnt that big of a problem for ntfs file systems ie XP but that does look eccessive for just a day. The only other thing i would suspect is a bad drive, d/l and run the drive mfr diagnostic software to see if it comes up with anything.

3. valis

sorry for the delay.....out of town, and mobile took a crap too.....if it isn't one thing, it's another. No, no large files being added/deleted. All this pc is being used for is internet connection and one extremely basic spreadsheet. However, in this computer's history is a very bad problem with inexperienced users, a few viruses, and more spyware that I care to recall. To the best of my knowledge, there are no partitions on the drive; I'd also stripped it to the bare essentials (I had thought) necessary for running winXP.
    Could there be a virus or some sort of thing that would cause this, or would this be a hardware error and time to swap drives? I do have other drives I can put in there; I just hate to throw something out without knowing why it went to the Great Database in the Sky.

Thanks again, and I appreciate all the assistance.

4. twotugs

twotugs

I recall reading a thread where it was recommended to use either Norton Utilities or the defrag utility in XP, but not both; the reason stated that each program uses a different method for organizing files.

I know I've had files that refused to defrag when System Restore was active. If you feel experimental, try disabling it and deleting restore points, and then defrag the drive.

P.S. Love the avatar, and the screen name! PKD meets Bug-Eyed Earl!

5. valis

for some reason, the possibility of bill the cat admiring both bug eyed earl and PKD doesn't surprise me.....if anything, it sort fits in a cosmic, drool-filled way...

Thanks for the input. I will start running only the norton defrag (I paid for that one, may as well use it) and I will disable system restore and defrag from there. I will be unable to do this until tomorrow a.m., so I will post a follow up about 24 hrs from now.

Again, thanks for all the assistance.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

You might want to decide which defragger you are going to use and stick with it. Different defraggers use different methods of arranging files and may run in conflict with one another.

If you choose to use Norton, you may want to turn off XP's background defrag so that the 2 are not working at cross-purposes.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction
    Change the "Enable" value to "N".

7. Mastertech

Mastertech

Norton is not that good of a Defragmenter, First try optimizing your system with Optimize XP then I would recommend getting Diskeeper Pro it does a much better job then the built in Disk Defragmenter and Norton. Considering the built in one is a lite version of Diskeeper this should tell you something. Diskeeper's Set it and forget it smart schedule has allowed me to never have to worry about checking a disks fragmentation level ever. If you manage PCs it is a must have.

Also I believe norton constantly tries to get rid of free space, with NTFS it is actually better to strategically leave some free space as files do change in size, Diskeeper does this and is one reason Norton may be showing high frag levels all the time. Definitely do not use more then one Defrag utility!

8. valis

Well, I've been monitoroing the pc in question, and after switiching to only one defrag element, it seems to be acting better. Norton consistently states that it is about 38% fragmented, yet windows shows 6%. Hmmm....Learn something new everyday, especially in this forum.

Again, thanks for all the assistance, and as usual, you guys solved the problem.

valis

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!