1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excessive memory use on Win2k machine

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by user007, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user007

user007 Thread Starter

It seems like in the past few months, my win2000 laptop has been running poorly. Memory seems to be filling up and lots of swapping (disk activity) every time I switch between active windows.

I have 392Mbytes installed and right now-for example, task manager says I am using 680Mbytes of memory. This seems like a huge amount to me. I do have 6 explorer web pages open but I did that in the past without noticably slowing down the machine and changing active windows.

Is there some software that could have attached itself to my machine and is just eating up memory?

If I reboot the PC, things get better for a little while, but then seem to slow down again.

Any ideas or is this normal?

Thanks

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    It might be that the memory is not being properly distributed if you know what I mean. There is a tool that can manage your memory. Check www.download.com for some good programs.

Other than that, maybe you can post a HighJackThis log here so we can see if there is any programs running in the backround.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217400

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice