1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excessive network activity -Win7 64 bit

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Bennov, Jul 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bennov

Bennov Thread Starter

Hi All,
    I've been beating my head against a wall for the past 6 months with an intermittent networking issue whereby one of my PC's network connection runs extremely slow. It will run fine for a month or so, then issue strikes. It's isolated to one PC, the other computers on the network are unaffected. I've found today that the activity sent/received is very high compared to other computers i.e. connection has been enabled for about 10 minutes and sent/received values are 70MB/3.5MB and all I've done is accessed a website.
    It also appears to work fine for the first site I access and the activity level is minimal, then I try to navigate to a different page the activity sky rockets and website fails to load or loads extremely slowly.
    The only fix I've found is to run a network cable, then after a week or so I try the wireless connection and it runs as expected.
    I've just run a virus scan with AVG free and no threats were found. Also run Malwarebyte and didn't pick up any malicious softward
    The router is a TP-Link TD-W8960N
    The wireless card is TL-WN951N
    Windows 7 64-bit.
    Any ideas?

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Welcome to TSG:
    So are you saying that a wired connection does not have this problem ?

3. Bennov

Bennov Thread Starter

Correct, a wired connection on the same PC doesn't have the same problem. Other wireless computers are also unaffected.

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

I would do three things:
    Download current firmware for your router
    Download from the pc makers web site the most current network addapter driver
    Boot up in safe mode with networking.Any change ?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1007615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice