1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excessive page file usage?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RobertM, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RobertM

RobertM Thread Starter

I'm told that my "PF Usage" is abnormally high, so I thought I'd come here to investigate it. My first question would be if it is too high, and second what I might do about it.

Right now, with IE7 open (using two tabs), and my background programs running (totaling 41 processes and 447 threads), I have 732584 KB of physical memory available of 1047280. PF Usage is listed as 319 MB (328860 KB of Commit Charge, 2516712 K Limit, and 908748 Peak).

If I open World of Warcraft, my Commit Charge goes to 706256 K, available physical memory goes to 276112 K. Excessive?

2. bbearren

bbearren

The pagefile is just a virtual extension of physical memory written to the hard drive. Data in physical memory that is not likely to be needed quickly is paged out to the hard drive and the physical memory address space is yielded to data that is currently needed. Pagefile usage depends entirely on the workload.

If you have several applications open and then toss in a game as well, Windows memory usage algorithms will start loading physical memory with the new apps requirements and paging out stale data to the hard drive. It will keep some physical memory free for immediate use.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555223/en-us

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314482/en-us

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Sounds fine to me, unless you have specific symptoms I wouldn't spend any time worrying about it.

4. RobertM

RobertM Thread Starter

It was suggested that the reason it takes me takes me 41 seconds to log out in WoW with a mod called Lootlink enabled, verses less than 4 seconds without it enabled, was because of the size of my PF usage. Says the mod's developer...
    Thus, here I am.

5. bbearren

bbearren

Is your pagefile:

1. Managed by Windows?
    2. Managed by you with minimum and maximum size limits?
    3. Managed by you with a fixed size?
    4. On the same partition as Windows?
    5. On a partition separate from Windows?
    6. On a dedicated partition (no other files or folders, just the pagefile)?

All of these have an effect on pagefile efficiency. For example, a fragmented pagefile on the same fragmented partition with Windows is the least efficient of all.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

You might try using XP_PageFileMon and create a log of PF usage. You won't get accurate numbers from the Task Manager since it states potential instead of actual usage.

7. RobertM

RobertM Thread Starter

Assuming I used it right...

1/29/07 12:48:01 AM
    Pagefile Physical Location: C:\pagefile.sys
    Current Pagefile Usage: 66 MB
    Session Peak Usage: 84 MB
    Current Pagefile Size: 1534 MB

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can set it up so that it creates a log file and resords the PF usage at intervals. That kind of information is actually more useful than a snapshot of a particular time.

9. RobertM

RobertM Thread Starter

I don't see an option to do that in that program. It just seems to want to spit out those snapshots when I run it.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

You're right. The option that you see on first run to create a log file should be chosen. Then, a scheduled task can be created to run the program at a chosen interval (30 minutes, for example) and that will give you a longitudinal perspective on the usage.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539123

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice