Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exchange 2000 server

569 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  stod73 
#1 ·
Hey, everyone...I hope someone can help me on this thing. I'm a bit of a fledgling to Exchange Server 2000 (I have some experience in the setup and database repairing [eseutil is a pain in the ***]). I have a bit of a scenario that I can't seem to get an answer on from one of my exchange sources, and wanted to post it here and see if I can get a hand. Here's what we have:

My company is divided into two divisions. The parent company holds the company's e-mail server in house (they are right next door to us so access to the main mail server is not a problem). Despite the split of divisions, we all use the same e-mail address naming scheme (example: @bob123.com). In our office, I have set up an exchange server of our own to receive the mail to pull the mail from the main server for only our division. (example...mary@bob123.com is set up on the main server and I want to be able to have our exchange server pull down her e-mail only to ours). We are on seperate networks and the domain names for the two servers are different (mail server is mail.bob123.com and my server is mail.bob123oem.local). There seems to be some connectivity problems between the two servers and I cannot seem to be able to get the mail from the main server to our server.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Brian

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you using AD? Is there a trust between the two domains? Do both email servers live in the same domain? What prompted setting up a second email server strickly for one company's email?

Ultimately, what are you trying to do with your email? I don't think a second server is required for what you need (if my assumptions are correct)....

#3 ·
It's a bizarre story. Our company is technically a subdivision of a parent company, but we are under our own ownership. The owner of my company wants to break away from the parent company (in the computer sense) and not rely on their servers or anything of that nature...yet, they house our e-mail domain and he does not want to change that. So, we wanted to set up our own exchange server to pull down our individual mail from the main host server for monitoring purposes and the such.
We do use AD and it is set properly...and the two mail servers are in seperate domains.

#4 ·
I believe you are having a problem with the two domains (probably need to set up a trust). You should be able to have your exchange server use the main one as a bridgehead/front-end for receiving email. The users for your company must be in your domain and configured to your mail server. The email will come into the main email server and forward on to yours for delivery (vicecersa for outgoing mail).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.