Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exchange 2003 database offline defragmentation

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  srp555 
#1 ·
My Exchange 2003 database is already over 16GB, and must do the offline defragment as soon as possible. Just search the info from Microsoft, but don't have much detail on this. So please help. Thanks.

1. Do I need to stop the 'MS Exchange Information Store', 'MS Exchange Management', 'MS Exchange MTA Stacks', and 'MS Exchange System Attendant' services before I dismount the mailbox store?

2. Is this command correct to run the defragmentation utility on the mailbox store database with a backup? The command is:
eseutil /d c:\progra~1\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb /b d:\exchbkup\priv1.edb
(p.s. there is a space after /b)

3. The total size of c: drive is 50GB, and have 30GB free space, so it should be enough to perform the offline defragmentation. Is that right?

4. For the 16GB size database, how long will it take to complete the offline defragmentation? 3 hours? 4 hours? 5 hours?

Please feel free to comment. Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
You will have to stop the server and related services before defragmenting because the files in use cannot be defragmented. Its better to go in for any of the third party applications rather than Windows Disk defragmenter as they are much faster and once set they defragment whenever needed automatically in the background. This will save you the trouble of manually checking and scheduling the job each time. Generally 25% free Disk space is required for defrag. The specialized defragmenters available are anyday better than the built-in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.