Exchange 2003 Expert Needed!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nick3young

Hi everyone,

We own 2 domain controllers and a single member server (all with server 2003).
We?re currently in the process of installing Exchange 2003 (standard) on the member server and have discovered it is more difficult than we originally anticipated! Three main things bother us at the moment?.!

1) We installed everything as the official documentation says, ?run ForestPrep? then ?DomainPrep?, then ?setup? etc etc. After doing this, we discovered that ?ForestPrep? needs to ran on a domain controller (not member server). So we did that too! Now, is this going to cause problems because we have no longer installed the components in the correct order??e.g. Exchange 2003 setup up on member server BEFORE ?ForestPrep? was ran on the domain controller.

2) Another thing also, for active directory to automatically create new mailboxes upon creating a new user, we have read that the ?Exchange Management System? needs to be installed on a domain controller also. How true is this? We would have much preferred to have kept all of Exchange on our 3rd (member) server.

3) Finally, all our users for the network were setup before the installation of Exchange. How do we set these existing users up on Exchange?

10 points goes to anyone who can answer all three!

Thanks in advance
Nick

nick3young

Sorry about all those random question marks in there - thats what you get for pasting from Word!

1) If active directory is set up and replicating correctly on the member server there should be no problems with the way you ran the setup.

2) Try and set up a new user in Active directory and see if the mailbox is created for the account. If not, you may need to synchronize AD across the domain. You do not need to install the EXADMIN on the domain controller.

3) You will have to mannually add mailboxes from AD for these users that were pre-Exchange.

There is no points system here.

nick3young

Thanks Rockn - that was a quick reply!

We have 1000+ existing users to set exchange up for (are you saying we need to do them all manually)? I'll look forward to that one...!

I hate to be a nuisance but I have some more questions relating to partitioning the server (for exchange). In the deployment guide it says to have partitions for:-

-System Partition
-Exchange Binaries
-Transition Log Files
-Database Files
-Other Exchange Files

This is all well and good, but it gives no indication for size! Ok, so we can calculate the size our database files may reach (10meg per mailbox multiplied by 1000), but I wouldn't have a clue about the log files, for example.

At the moment, we have it all installed on C: but plan to create 2 new partitions - one for the log files and one for the database files. Any ideas on the sizes of these partitions?

Thanks

I am not sure how to go about creating mail accounts for 1000+ users, but I would think that MS would have some utility to do it. I would also think that the accounts may be there already and you could test by sending an email to an existing AD user.

As far as partitions goes I only put the databases on other physical drives not partitions. I normally set up a good sized system partition for any updates, etc. and I gerneally never install any other software if I can help it so the system part never really gets too large.

You can always move the databases pretty easily if you find you are running out of space. I never really mess with the others like tranasction logs. the data files can also be on another drive to speed up general Exchange performance.

nick3young

Right, I partitioned the server today. I created 2 partitions, one for the transaction logs (2gb) and one for the datyabase files (16gb). The exchange installation has been left on the system drive (C). I'm quite happy with that now.

Following Rockn's advice, I removed EXADMIN from the domain controller. When I create users on this server now, the mailbox is NOT created automatically. However, when I create a user through active directory on the member server (via start --- program files -- exchange --- active directory users), it DOES. I'll leave it at that for now. Although, I am slightly baffled as to how we are able to set users up on a member server which isn't even supposed to be a part of active directory!

Next problem!
We need to configure exchange to retrieve emails from our email providor (The East Midlands Broadband Consortium). I assume we need to apply some settings in the Virtual SMTP and Virtual POP3 jobbies (under protocols). As an example, its something like 'smtp.embc.org.uk' for SMTP, but I can't see an obvious place to put it (it was more obvious with exchange 5.5!). We have already got EMBC to fwd e-mail to the IP address of our exchange server, so its just the settings at our end now.

Am I missing something obvious?

Cheers
Nick

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online