1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Exchange 5.5-Public folder restore

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by DMac, Oct 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DMac

DMac Thread Starter

I am running Exchange server 5.5. A couple of months ago a few public folders were deleted and the now need to be restored. I have regular backups of exchange on tape.
    How would I go about restoring the public folders that have been deleted? Do I need a a dedicated restore server for this?

Thanks,

DMAC

2. littlemar

littlemar

You don't need a dedicated backup server to do a restore. It all depends on what back up application you are using. i.e., BackUp Exec. Then the procedure would be to find the correct date needed and the area to be restored, checking it and doing the restore. We usually do a restore at least once a week due to our Engineers constantly deleting the "wrong folder".

3. Rockn

Rockn

You only need a dedicated server if your backup app does not backup individual items like mailboxes in Exchange. You will need a seperate server if you are going to restore Information Stores that are corrupted.

Public folders can be a pain, but if you want to keep them from deleting them you need to take away that right for the average user. In Exchange you can do this on a folder by folder basis or for each object in a certain public folder.

4. DMac

DMac Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips.

I'm using backup exec. If i chose the restore public folders option, will it restore over any new folders that have been created since the time of restoration?

5. Firejay

Firejay

It should not unless they are named identically. However, backup before the restore is the right thing to do.

6. Rockn

Rockn

It will only restore them to the point in time that the last backup was done...anything else might be overwritten since they are not actual seperate entities. I am not sure if you can specify which public folder to restore with backup Exec.

Just looked, it's an all or nothing deal....all public folders is a database and it will overwrite what is currently on there.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/100709

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice