1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Exchange/Email basic questions

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by zorba, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zorba

zorba Thread Starter

Hi, I am new to Exchange (having up till now run our Outlook email clients as standalone clients collecting to .PST files on a LAN file server, collecting via POP3 from our email server hosted by a commercial provider - Xilo).

8 days ago (on Monday 12th Nov) I had a networking company come in and set up Exchange server for us.

Exchange mailboxes replaced our .PST files (with the .PST data migrated into the Exchange mailboxes).

Initially, just for continuity and to avoid throwing everything up in the air together, we continued to collect mail into Exchange via POP3 (using the same mailboxes provided by Xilo our hosts).

Then on Thursday (15th Nov) we finally "grew up" and setup Exchange to run as a collecting mailserver in its own right (by configuring Exchange, and by contacting our hosts Xilo, giving them our Exchange server's external IP address, and asking them to re-route mail directly to us - via creating an MX record in their DNS I believe).

(Q1) On Thursday, did we go from collecting mail via POP3 to collecting via IMAP ?

(Q2) All along i.e. from Monday, have we been SENDING mail using SMTP ? (and therefore bypassing our hosting provider's mailserver)

2. rhynes

rhynes

How many threads do you have on the go zorba?

3. zorba

zorba Thread Starter

3 live ones

The long one that you first replied to, was first.

I wondered why noone came back on the first part of it, then recently when I reviewed it again I realised I had asked far too many questions for just one post, also that it logically broke down into 2x bits viz. one about Exchange and email basic theory, and the other was more practical, about mail not being received and how our domain config may have affected that...

So I rehashed the theory bit into a new seperate post, and took the practical side, that you had moved along a great deal, and put any outstanding questions back up as a new post ...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/654101

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice