1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

EXchange Server - access denied

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by draceplace, Nov 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. draceplace

draceplace Thread Starter

I'm getting this message when opening a users account (as administrator) in exchange.

Microsoft Exchange Administrator
    Access denied trying to contact Windows NT domain controller.
    Microsoft Exchange Administrator
    ID no: c1031029

Recently ran some MS patches and update antivirus (eTrust) on this box. Also getting an "access denied" when trying to end processes (eTrust are the ones I tried).

It's like I'm not getting authenticated as an administrator or something (I can start and stop services?). I'm looking at various security settings and stuff but nothing is looking like an obvious solution.

Any help (like a guess) would be greatly appreciated.

2. draceplace

More info.. maybe somebody can help? This is Exchange 2000,
    You click ok on the msg box and the 'properties' will come up but, in the bottom right of the 'General' tab where the user name should be it says .\unknown account. This maybe a hint about what is going on?

3. draceplace

Resolved!! Another server on the domain had taken over (for some reason) as the domain controller. No DNS...nobody new each other.. Its a wonder anything worked. Now to get DNS acting right again.

This was a remote server that had problems taking a new admin password a while back. We were going thru the problem log looking for something that had happened and started looking at it. If I learn anymore I'll post again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/293913

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice