Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exchange Server Setup Help

926 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Godofbeer 
#1 ·
Ok, I'm trying to setup an Exchange Server using the book "Mastering Exchange Server 2003". Well I'm at the "forestprep stage" and it gives me this message when I try to do it:

"The Component "Microsoft Exchange Forest Preperation" cannot be assigned the action "ForestPrep" because:

- To install the first Exchange server in a domain, or to run setup in "/Forestprep" mode, you must first be an Exchange Full Administrator at the organization level. You must use an account that has been granted the Full Exchange Administrator role on the exchange organization using the Exchange Administrative Delegation Wizard."

So, I assume that I must add "administrator" to this "exchange full administrator" group role using that Delegation Wizard. Only problem is, how do I install the delegation wizard as if I try to install Exchange from the CD I get the same message. Please advise.

#5 ·
sfrechette:

The replies above are bang on in that you need a working Domain w/ Active directory running ... but there's more to think about.

If you're setting up this mailserver in a 'real' business, you might be tempted to name the Active Directory domain equal to the Website domain (i.e. yourdomain.com). But, in the end, the site website might be hosted off-site and you only want the email to flow into the Exchange server. It's a common practice to name the Active Directory name to something like 'yourdomain.local'. At the internet domain level, you'd go online and change the internet domain information (with whomever you registered the domain with) and change the MX pointerto point to your exchange server's Internet IP address, but leave the other pointers alone (i.e. Aname, Cname). This will allow you to have the best of both worlds.

In the event you're hosting the website in-house and possibly from the same server as the Exchange is running on, you can still name AD the same way, but simply add a new forward lookup zone in DNS to point the real domain to the internal IP of the inhouse server.

But, one step at a time. Get the server Active directory setup as 'yourdomain.local' first and then install Exchange. Then report back here with the results. We can all work with you from there.

Also, please report back with details related to where your internet website is hosted (in-house or not), and how many Windows servers are in the Active directory you're cooking up.

P.S. The forest prep utility is only used on other Domain Controllers in your Active Directory forest after you've installed Exchange on a master Exchange box. All it really does is populate the Active directory database w/ a billion Exchange specific objects so that when Active Directory synchronizes amonst servers they can all reference the same objects.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.