1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Exchange server won't create Offline Address Book

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TechGuy, Dec 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    I've got a customer's Exchange 2003 server that won't build the Offline Address Book. Every time I try, I get: "OALgen encountered error 80040107." I've checked the Replication tab of all of the Offline Address Book folders. There was one missing, but it's fine now... but same error. Thanks for any help!

2. Sponsor

3. zabusant

zabusant

From http://www.amset.info/exchange/oab-error.asp

Exchange Server Errors:

* Event ID: 9331 - OALGen encountered error 80040107 (internal ID 501023d) accessing the public folder store while generating the offline address list for address list '/' - Default Global Address List
    * Event ID: 9335 - OALGen encountered error 80040107 while cleaning the offline address list public folders under /o=<Organization name>/cn=addrlists/cn=oabs/cn=Default Global Address List. Please make sure the public folder store is mounted and replicas exist of the offline address list folders. No offline address lists have been generated

Outlook Errors:

16:00:12 Synchronizer Version 11.0.6352
    16:00:12 Synchronizing Mailbox 'John Smith'
    16:00:12 Synchronizing Hierarchy
    16:00:12 Done
    16:00:12 Microsoft Exchange offline address book
    16:00:12 0X8004010F

Resolutions

There are a number of resolutions to these problems.

Replicas

The first thing to check is the replicas for the Offline Address Book on the Exchange server itself:

1. Open Exchange System Manager then expand Admin Groups, <your admin group>, Folders, Public Folders.
    2. Right click on Public Folders and choose "Show View System Folders".
    3. Find the folder "Offline Address Book".
    4. The main folder and each of its sub folders should be checked to ensure that there is at least one server listed. If you only have one Exchange server then there will be just one listed. If you have more then it should be replicated to them all. None of the replica tabs should be blank.
    If there is an invalid server listed, remove it.

Global Address Book Assigned to the Offline Address Book

The Offline Address Book uses the Global Address List (GAL) to build its content. If you have been customising the GAL, then you may have an invalid address book listed.

1. Open Exchange System Manager then Expand Recipients, Offline Address Book.
    2. Right click on the default and choose Properties.
    3. On the first tab (General) make sure that a valid GAL is listed under "Address Lists".

4. TechGuy

First Name:
    Mike
    I think I may have just stumbled upon the problem. In Exchange System Manager, Recipient Update Service, I found that both the local and Enterprise services had an old Windows Domain Server listed. I found this remotely, so I'm waiting for the customer to report back to confirm that was the problem. Just thought I'd share it in case anyone else comes across this thread. :)

5. TechGuy

First Name:
    Mike
    Darn it! Still no good. I'm no longer getting the error in the Event Viewer of the server, but every user still sees this in Synchronization Errors:

Code:
    11:24:23 Synchronizer Version 11.0.5604
    11:24:23 Synchronizing Mailbox 'User'
    11:24:23 Done
    11:24:23 Microsoft Exchange offline address book
    11:24:23        0X8004010F

6. TechGuy

First Name:
    Mike
    Bump. :(

7. zabusant

zabusant

I'm sure you already came across this, but I'll post it anyway - if nothing else, the topic will get another bump:eek:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905813

There's also a detailed discussion on the same error here and it seems to offer a solution, but it is way over my head.:)

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's pretty bad when the site owner can't get help on his own site! ;)

I'd love to help you Mike, but I have no idea what is going on. I did some searching and came up with the same stuff that zabusant has already found.

9. TechGuy

First Name:
    Mike
  10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/662680