1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Exchanging a HDD for an SSD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Capnsalty, Oct 25, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Capnsalty

Capnsalty Thread Starter

On my wife's laptop I am changing out a HDD for a SSD. After watching a video by Carey Holzman I decided to take on the project myself. I purchased a ADATA 240 Gig drive. The drive in the MSI computer is 174 gig. Thought it very straight forward. My problem comes in when I tried to boot to Acronis Clone software and the computer will not boot to the USB that I have the Acronis repair software. I go to the UEFI to boot it starts but stalls what do I need to do?

2. Joshuaperry64

Joshuaperry64

im not familer with the software. if i were you i would look into another method of cloning your hard drive

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    How did you make the Acronis Usb stick ?

4. weequahic

weequahic

Even to this non-technie, your phrase, "I am changing out a HDD for a SSD" makes perfect sense. But the thread's heading has it backwards. Things like that have happened to me, too.

5. lynx1021

lynx1021

I recently replaced my Toshiba laptop hard drive with an SSD, I used EZ gig 4 latest software ISO burned to a disk with a Apricorn USB3 to SATA adapter. The first time I tried it did not work, I had to go into the UEFI bios and turn off "secure boot" to boot from the Disk, then every thing went perfect.
    NOTE: I defragged my hard drive and did file cleanup, ran SFC before attempting. When I cloned my hard drive in my Desktop I used the Acronis installed on my hard drive (from A-Data, a lite version) and cloned it with a spare SATA cable, an old legacy bios Non UEFI.

6. lynx1021

lynx1021

The Acronis Cary uses is the full version so if you are using the version from A-Data it is different. Also you have to download the right version for your OS. I used the one for windows 7, there was another one for windows 10.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234780

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice