1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Exchanging files via portable storage device

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by samanthacat, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. samanthacat

samanthacat Thread Starter

Any recommendations on simplest way our community organization can move our text / spreadsheet / database info around to various committee members' computers with an external device? A range of operating systems are in place, from (probably) Windows 98 on up to Vista Home Premium (the Group laptop). Microsoft software ranges from MS Works to MS Office 2007. Everything would have to come "home" for archiving on the Group computer. (I know other issues are to be solved, such as Word 2007 not being backward compatible, etc., etc.). Thanks for any and all ideas!

2. SB305

SB305

The simplest, most convenient way is to use a USB Flash Disk (which needs no external power supply). :)
    HOWEVER, it won't work on 98 First Edition and will need drivers (usually easily obtained but some NOT - check the packaging of the device) for Windows 98 Second Edition. Also, it will help if the PC's used have been updated to the latest available Windows updates.
    I've found Vista picky with some flash disks - but maybe that's just me. :D
    An alternative is the ancient floppy disk - subject to its small capacity limitations and the fact that most new PC's have no floppy drive.
    Good luck! (y)

3. mowersman

mowersman

you could try a cd rw
    that is if the computers have a cd rw drive:)

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I agree with the USB FLASH drive, just make sure that you buy one that has available W98 drivers.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645036

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice