1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

exclamation signs in device manager

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by spectrum, Nov 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spectrum

spectrum Thread Starter

I have a very interesting situation. I notice that on my device manager I cant find my cd rom even when is working, under hard disk controllers I have exclamation marks for the primary IDE controller (fifo) and secondary ide controller (fifo). If I remove the
    via bus master pci ide controller and reboot to make windows 98se to reinstall them, after reboot the situation persist. When in safe mode I can see my cd rom and there are no exclamation marks. How can I resolve this? I need to install a dvd ram with an scsi but the scsi shows exclamation mark also. I think has to do with the above concern. Need help, Please as soon as possible

2. columbo

columbo

Hi, Welcome to the Forum.

When did this problem first occur? In Device Manager, does it say "you need to re-load the drivers for this device", under the Drivers tab of the controller? Or is the problem a resource conflict? Instead of just removing them and restarting, have you tried re-installing the drivers through Device Manager? Also, what do you have running at startup (and in your config.sys and autoexec.bat)?

Did you try removing your SCSI card?

3. spectrum

spectrum Thread Starter

Hi Columbo. I notice this problem when I try to install a adaptec 2930 pci scsi for a dvd ram. When I click over either the primary or sec the message is "device is either not present or working properly or some driver is missing. I reinstall the drivers and try with other drivers presented by windows. The problem remains. I removed the scsi card, his drivers and remove the scsi from device manager. Regarding start up , config and autoexec. What do you mean or what should I look for? Thanks for your response.
    Appreciate that!

Spectrum

4. columbo

columbo

Hi Spectrum,

Did removing the SCSI card fix the problem, then? Go to Start, then Run, then type in msconfig. Click on "Selective Start-up", and take the checkmarks off of config.sys and autoexec.bat. Then click OK, save the changes, and reboot your machine.
    Does it work now?
    If yes, then the problem is with your config.sys or autoexec.bat.
    If not, then we'll have to try something else.
    Try this, and let us know what happens.

:)

5. spectrum

spectrum Thread Starter

Hi! Removing the scsi and his components did not fix the problem.
    Should I follow your procedure anyway?

6. columbo

columbo

Hey,

Go ahead and do that selective startup. It won't hurt anything, and could be helpful in diagnosing your problem.

:)

7. slipe

slipe

Do you have the latest 4 in 1 driver update from Via?

8. spectrum

spectrum Thread Starter

Hi Columbo! Thank you for your support. I could solve the problem yesterday. It was a pcmcia drive with dos drivers. Windows did work with them but dos confined the pcmcia drive as D. When I try to install a DVD ram with SCSI card, windows was having conflicts to organize and set the additional drive letters. As the cd rom was in a motherboard ide connection, there was no conflict before. I went to dos and locate on dir the drivers. When I delete them , windows went free as a butterfly. Just add this to your handbook and make it run. If a dos driver consign drive letters in dos. when installing additional drives you will get some exclamation marks on device manager as a conflict result

thanks for your support. You was the only one to help and I appreciate it.:D

9. columbo

columbo

Craziness.:confused:

Always glad to help out.

Best of luck in the future!

:D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59717

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice