1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

exe and shortcuts don't work

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by PUNKSHOWHERO, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PUNKSHOWHERO

PUNKSHOWHERO Thread Starter

help! i'm running windows 98 SE and all my exe files and shortcuts have stopped working! they all show up with that icon of the page with the windows logo that means windows doesn't know what to do with them. i seem to be able to run programs still, just not directly, for example: i can't start winamp directly, but if i double click on an mp3 winamp will run and play the file like normal. i've scanned my computer with ad-aware and norton antivirus and come up empty handed with both. also, i reinstalled the OS and it seemed to fix things at first, but after just a few minutes it goes back to not working, i have no clue what's going on.

2. PUNKSHOWHERO

no one knows?

3. aarhus2004

aarhus2004 Gone but always remembered

What happens when you right-click on the icon?

Have you right-clicked on your desktop and clicked 'Refresh'?

4. Rockn

Rockn

Virus. Go to housecall.antivirus.com and do an online scan of your system.

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Your antivirus has detected and quarantined a virus, BUT, did not clean references from the registry.

Download Fix-Exec.inf from here (bottom)

Then, select the file, right mouse, install.

Then, update your virus defs and do a full system scan.
    And, since this may have been a backdoor trojan that allowed an outsider access to you PC, immediately change all passwords.

And, if you do not have a firewall installed, install one like www.zonealarm.com.

And, look at the options in your Antivirus in regard to detection and removal of viruses. If there are any that say automatic and there is an Ask Me option, choose that. Then, you will always know if you ever get a virus again, and you will know the name of it.

6. PUNKSHOWHERO

right now for some reason i can't get my infected computer online, so online scan is out of the qwestion. :( do i have to reboot after i install the .inf file? because it didn't change anything, and i can't run liveupdate for the same reason i can't run anything else.

7. PUNKSHOWHERO

anyone else? help!!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269125

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice