1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

exe files keep opening in oe

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by sgiroir, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sgiroir

sgiroir Thread Starter

I am beside myself!!!! For the last month everytime I attempt to download or open any exe file or win media files oe puts a .dbx file ending on it and then I can't open it. It opens in OE. I don't even use Oe and have uninstalled it at least 3 times. Tried to download the new Netscape 7 and lo and behold the same thing happened and it opens in oe. When downloading it only offers me me to open in oe or to save the file in .dbx or all files. Even if I choose all files it still puts a .dbx ending on it. These are application files but for some reason they keep ending up with a .dbx on them.
    Help me please!!!!!! I have posted on a couple of other sites but no one has been able to help me. :( :confused:

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Do you mean IE not OE, when you do a download pay attention to the download dialog as you can set the extension from it.

3. sgiroir

sgiroir Thread Starter

Ni I do mean oe It says open using outlook express or save this to file. When I click on advanced to try and change the extension it tells me it is a .dbx extension when it should be an exe

4. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Are you refering to an attachment?

5. sgiroir

sgiroir Thread Starter

no, I am not attempting to open attachments in Outlook I am attempting to download executalbe programs such as the new Netscape and media files. the do not download as exe's (applications) they download with the Oe dbx extension thus making them inoperable.

6. zmaster

zmaster

what windows are you running? have you tried using windows explorer to change the extension on the file name from .dbx to .exe? You might have to go to |tools -> folder options -> view and you may have to uncheck the option "hide file extensions for known file types" if the file doesn't have a extension showing. Also how do you "download" the file? an exact process of what you do could lead to a solution

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272137

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice