1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Exe icons not displaying

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by xsyntryk, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xsyntryk

xsyntryk Thread Starter

I recently installed a dozen or so small games I had on CD onto my new Dell with Vista Home Premium 32bit and noticed today that half the shortcut icons are displaying one of the default icon pictures (the one windows associates with unknown file types usually) instead of the one for the exe's. When I browse to the exe files they aren't displaying their icons either although when I open properties for them the icons are there in the upper left. I've searched the web and could only find one solution using TweakUI but that was for XP and won't work for me. Anybody have any idea how to go about correcting this? It's not a huge deal but it's a minor annoyance.

2. xsyntryk

xsyntryk Thread Starter

Still waiting, C'mon now noone has ANY idea how to fix this? lol

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Are these the Desktop icons or the icons shown when viewing the listing in Windows Explorer?

4. xsyntryk

xsyntryk Thread Starter

Both the desktop shortcut icons and the exe files themselves in windows explorer.

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    These older programs may NOT be fully Vista compliant and this may be a small side affect.

6. xsyntryk

xsyntryk Thread Starter

They were displaying fine for a couple days prior

7. GSi-R

GSi-R

Same problem here. Most of my desktop icons are fine, but my SIS files are now only showing as a small blank, and not the correct icon, which is the Nokia mobile phone Sis file default.

Anyone help?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!