1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

.exe

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by merp64, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. merp64

merp64 Thread Starter

Hi,

How do I open an .exe file in Mac? How can I execute a file made in Windows in my MAC?

2. Headrush

Headrush

Which app?

There are several possibilities depending on the app.
    Codeweavers Office, Wine, Parallels, and VMware Fusion.

Crossover Office and Wine provide implement parts of the Win32 API and SOME programs run great with this.

Parallels and Fusion both run a virtual Windows environment and hence runs a high percentage of Window apps.

Of course you can always install Boot Camp and boot into Windows on your mac (if an Intel based Mac) but my guess this isn't what you're looking for.

3. merp64

merp64 Thread Starter

I'm new in MAC and I just download a driver for my printserver from the Linksys web site, but this a Windows application and I would like to run this program to see if I can setup my network printer as I did on my Dell. (I couldn't find the MAC drivers for it).

4. Headrush

Headrush

That won't work.

Can you list the exact model?

5. merp64

merp64 Thread Starter

Printserver: Linksys Model PSUS4.
    Printer: HP Officejet 6210 All in One
    Computer: MacBook 2ghz Intel core duo, 1 GB Ram OS 10.4
    Wireless Router: Belkin G plus 2.4 Ghz

6. Headrush

Headrush

The print server should be preconfigured to run.
    You will need to install the Officejet drivers on the Mac, then go to the printers preference panel and just add a network printer. I believe for that print server the queue field is "lp" and use whatever IP it is assigned.

This might be useful to explain the procedure better: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060404021600193

(Its not the exact same hardware, but the same procedure)

Edit: I've read firmware update v6034 causes problems for Macs so you might want to avoid upgrading or search for more information about it.

7. merp64

merp64 Thread Starter

I already been thru that link before and I already have that driver installed in my MAC. I can also print directly to the printer using the usb cable. The problem is when I go wireless, the MAC doesn't find the Printserver's IP. I try to configure it manually, but still not find the IP address.

8. Headrush

Headrush

Is the print server's IP dynamic or static?
    Are you picking LPD as the protocol?
    Do you know what firmware is installed on the print server?

9. Headrush

Headrush

Is the Print Server Wireless also?

Edit: Looked myself and see it isn't.

10. merp64

merp64 Thread Starter

Ok, I finally print wireless, but only garbage is coming out (I know isn't the right printer driver). I been trying to setup the printer model but isn't listed. I downloaded and install the driver but still not in the list and I don't know how to pull the right one.

11. Headrush

Headrush

I downloaded and installed the Officejet 6200 driver and I understand what you mean. I especially liked how they automatically installed 2 docks icons without asking me. :mad:
    Anyways, like you mentioned they don't appear to install a PPD file anyway to describe the printer and hence you don't see it in the pull down menu.

So I thought that since Linux and OS X use the same printing system I could grab the PPD from the linux printing web site. Found one, but this PPD uses the a backend I'm not sure is installed by default in OS X.

So to make things short, if you go here http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3 and get that package, the software needed to print is there. I installed it and your printer now shows up int he dropdown list and you can install it as a network printer. (Obviously I can't print to fully test, but should work.)

P.S. You will probably still need the HP software for get Scanning/Faxing etc working.

12. Headrush

Headrush

13. Headrush

Headrush

14. merp64

merp64 Thread Starter

Ok Headrush I think this is it, I Just want to say that you had been a very good help and I want to thank you for all your support. I really learned a lot about how to setup a printer in MAC. I found the 6200 driver in your last reply, unfortunately there still something wrong because I can only print one page with one diamond dot in the upper corner. Anyway I'm planning to buy another printer, maybe a Dell ;-) I'll leave this headache as a dedicated fax.
    Thank you very much.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592690

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice