1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Executable files damaged with .lax extension

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by jackstarke, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackstarke

jackstarke Thread Starter

I am running Windows XP and Microsoft Security Essentials.

I recently downloaded a program "Play It All". I subsequently went to Add and Remove Programs and removed "Play it All". After I did this all of the executable files on my desktop now had extensions of .lax and could not be run. Also I could not run any programs by using Start All Programs.

After a mild panic, I was able to restore my system so that everything worked normally by starting Windows in the Safe Mode and taking the option to restore an earlier version. After doing this everything worked, but now "Play it All" showed up in the Add and Remove program list.

I then tried to delete any viruses I might have had by running deleting all temporary files and running the following anti virus and malware programs: CWShredder, Stinger, SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes- AntiMalware, and Microsoft Security Essentials. I used the latest updated version of all of these programs. SuperAntiSpyware and AntiMalware were the only programs that found and problems, which were corrected.

At this point my system was running normally and since I had hoped that any viruses had been removed, I once again ran Add and Remove Programs and removed "Play it All". Again the same problem re-occurred with all executable programs having the .lax extension making it impossible to execute them.

Does anyone know of a way to remove "Play it All" without encountering this problem, or should I just leave the program there and hope it does not cause a problem down the road.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973783

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice