1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Executables open up windows and picture viewer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JCD2, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JCD2

JCD2 Thread Starter

Hello,

Im having a bit of a nightmare and would really appreiciate any advice.

As of last night, whenever i try to run an application, it simply opens up a 'preview' in windows picture and fax viewer. Ive managed to open an internet session (thank god) but anything else is inaccessbile. cant even run system restore or virus checker...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jonathan

2. bobol

bobol

start with running adaware and spybot; Also run spyware Blaster,
    if nothing changed post a hijack this log here- [links for all 4 tools below]

follow the next instructions on posting the Hijack This log here;

It’s very important that you save the log to its own permanent folder on your hard drive, such as program files or My Documents/hjt,or you may loose the ability to undo any changes you make (not temporary files or the desktop- or you may loose the ability to undo any changes you make) so that it can create proper back-ups and be able to restore them if necessary.

Close all open windows and open Hijack This. Click “Scan”. When the scan is finished (it only takes a second), the scan button will change to “Save Log”. Click on “Save Log” and then save it to NotePad. Click on “Edit” – “Select all” – “copy” and then “paste” into the thread.

DO NOT FIX ANYTHING YET;- Await further analysis here.

3. JCD2

JCD2 Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Problem is, i cant get adaware to run: even if i go straight to the .exe file in explorer it still just brings up picture viewer. similarly, downloading the probs and installing them has the same effect. running online scans does work though.

4. EvileYe

EvileYe

Sounds like your file associations are messed up somehow,

Open My Computer and Click Tools/Folder Options and then click the File Types tab, Click New and type exe in the new extension box that pops up, if it is associated correctly, a message will pop up saying that exe is already associated with File Type application.

If it is associated with a different file type, then you need to change it. Click the advanced tab and then associate it with Application and click ok.

5. JCD2

JCD2 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

yup, exe is correctly associated with apps.

weird thing is that the desktop shortcut for internet explorer works fine.

only bloody thing that does....

cheers

6. bobol

bobol

hmmm, I found this; [ found them here, at; http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm ]

Picture and Fax Viewer - Prevent Image and Fax Viewer From Stealing Associations

Delete this string:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\ShellImagePreview
    @="{e84fda7c-1d6a-45f6-b725-cb260c236066}"

Manually Edit: Right Click On image file. Choose "open with", then "choose program" Select your favorite image viewer program. Check the "always use selected program" box Click OK.

tip 2;

Disable Picture and Fax Viewer

Start/Run/CMD/regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll

If you disabled the fax/picture viewer by using regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll, then changing user icons fail to work: You need to re-load the dll and it will work. Have only tried this w/ XP Pro. Reload by typing in regsvr32 shimgvw.dll.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

if that works, I'd immediately run adaware and spybot thereafter and spyware blaster too, as well as post a hijackthis log here[details for that later if you need]. then if using tip2, re-enable it after clearing everything up.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276407

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice