1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

executing unix commands in ftp

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by cgjoker, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cgjoker

cgjoker Thread Starter

Hi there.

I would like to execute unix commands in a Windows FTP script that I have.

In the FTP script, I connect and FTP some files.

Once that is complete, I would like to perform such commands as chmod, or export....

anyone have any ideas on how I can do this?

Thanks so much.

2. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Are you trying to chmod/export on your local Windows box, or on the remote system?
    If its the remote system, you should probably be using SSH instead of FTP.

3. cgjoker

cgjoker Thread Starter

I know that FTP doesn't allow all unix commands, that it only allows file commands,... that being said, yes, im trying to execute unix commands such as chmod on the remote unix server. I guess SSH is the only option? I know that Hummingbird has Macro's I can also use, but I was hoping there was a trick to somehow fooling FTP into running these commands.

4. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

It really depends on the client.

5. tsunam

tsunam

which commands are you specifically trying to run? Almost all Ftp servers will allow you to chmod files to anything you want as long as its a actual real possibility, you can ls, dir...etc

6. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

For this type of scripting, unless you are running an old school client, you will have to rely on built in scripting functionality.

7. cgjoker

cgjoker Thread Starter

commands inlcude chmod, export (as in variables such as LIBPATH), and also, im trying to execute an application utility that is part of a unix program.

the client iw W2K, the server is AIX.

i tried executing a unix script within the ftp but that doesn't work so could you perhaps elaborate on what your refering to by internal scripting please.

thanks.

8. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Most clients (FTP client programs) have an internal scripting capability. This allows you to execute commands from a script. However, running a shell script (which is in essence what you want to do) over the network will take ssh.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224297

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice