1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Exe's open in note pad?!?!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jipwidap, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jipwidap

jipwidap Thread Starter

My PC was running flawlessly for about two months now, and then yesterday I came back to find my computer off. I turned it back on and when it got to the desktop, no task bar items started, and all of the .ink shortcuts on my desktop wouldn't display icons, just the broken icon icon, if you know what I mean. Anywho, when I went to start any program, it would either ask to use the web service to find what to open the exe in, or just open it notepad. Why note pad works and no other exe does, I have no clue. Any ideas?

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Right click on the EXE and LNK file association patches on this site, download them to the desktiop and fully unzip them (they will have green .reg icons).

Then double click them to merge them to the registry and see if they resolve some of these problems.

If you get an error, note it exactly. I'ts possible the registry association may be corrupted as well. If it is follow the pages instructions on running regedit and use File > Import to import the .reg files.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!