1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

expandable folder shortcuts?

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by alexcellence, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alexcellence

alexcellence Thread Starter

hi
    im just wondering out of curiosity:
    is it possible in win xp to make an icon on the desktop that will act like the expanding control panel in the start menu does?
    meaning when you click or right click on it you get a list of all the files inside that folder?
    if its not possible on the desktop is it possible to place that folder shortcut in the start menu and make it happen there?
    or even on the task bar somewhere?
    thanks!

2. GRudger

GRudger

i dont know if you'll be able to make an icon that behaves like a start menu, but you can have a shortcut to a folder from the desktop...

just open "my computer" or "explorer" and choose the folder you want, eg "my pictures". right click on "my pictures", then go down the menu to "send to", and choose "desktop (create shortcut)"

then you'll get a shortcut on the desktop to the "my pictures" folder, when you cdouble click it, you will go directly to it.

HTH

3. alexcellence

yeah that much i knew lol
    the problem is i was wondering if theres a quicker way to get to the files in that folder instead of opening it and having to find the file in it if you could just see a list and select :p but thanks anyways. i appreciate the help!

4. GRudger

GRudger

sorry mate, one has to always assume the least! ;)

5. GRudger

GRudger

you can change the format of the folders...(im assuming the least again, don't be offended) right click on an empty space in the folder, and choose "view" then choose either "list" or "details" i was thinking maybe you had it on "thumbnail" or "tile" which would have made it harder?

6. GRudger

GRudger

another thing you could try is to either save the files or make shortcuts in the "my documents" folder; then you would be able to access the files through the start menu with the expandable menu, as long as you have changed it to be that way.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      35.7 KB
      Views:
  7. alexcellence

ah voila your last suggestion makes sense! ok i'll try to deal with it that way. best solution so far. so thanks!
    and for the record, i knew all that about thumbnail view and details ;) im a computer technician. if i didnt know that much id have to hire u to beat me up lol!
    thanks again!

8. GRudger

GRudger

No worries mate!

9. GRudger

GRudger

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172228

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice