1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

expanding a four port hub

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chewie1012, Apr 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chewie1012

chewie1012 Thread Starter

I have a four port hub connected to a server with three pc's. All the ports are taken and I would like to expand to add three more ports. I have a four port router. Can I use it so that I don't have to buy another hub or a bigger hub?
    Thanks,

JERRY

2. Sponsor

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can use the ports on the router and the hub, shouldn't be an issue. Obviously, you'll consume a port on each with the link between them, but the other free ports will all be fine.

4. chewie1012

Great Thanks! Will it matter if one is a linksys and the other a netgear?

5. JohnWill

Not in the least. :) I have an SMC router with a 4 port switch, a generic 8 port switch, and a GigaFast 5 port switch, all working on the same network. I also have a NetGear 8 port hub that was retired for the switch that also works in my environment. They should all be 100% compatible. :)

6. chewie1012

Thanks Jon! Do you think it will be best to run the server to the wan on the router and then link from the router to the hub or should I just link off the hub? The hub has no uplink. It is just four ports. Right now the server is in one port and three computers are connected to the other ports.

7. chewie1012

By the way I am reading a Sybex book studying for the Network plus exam. I don't know if I will take the test but I am trying to learn more on my own.
    JERRY

8. WindowWizard

WindowWizard

I would replace the hub with your router then expand it with the hub. Also make sure that the server ends up connected directly to the router as to avoid lag.

9. chewie1012

So would you plug the server into the wan port?

10. JohnWill

Don't attempt to use the WAN port in your LAN, you'll be on the other side of the NAT translation in the router. I assume this is a broadband router you're talking about, right?

11. chewie1012

Yes it is a cable dsl router. RT314 What is the Nat translation?

12. chewie1012

I think I am going to have to buy an 8 port hub unfortunately. Maybe you can help me with this. Is there anything i can use the wan port for? Can I use it to link the two? I have six computers and one server. I have a four port hub and a four port router with a wan port. If my math is right I will use one port for the server and two ports to link the two. This will leave me only five ports left and I have six computers to add. If I can use the wan port for something I think I will be ok.
    Thanks
    JERRY

13. JohnWill

The WAN port is for a connection to a Wide Area Network, i.e. the Internet. The logic in the router between the WAN port and the router section does address translation, firewall functions, etc. You can't just plug another system into the WAN port and expect it to work seamlessly.

I just dropped into Pricewatch and looked up an 8 port switch, the SMC one is on the top of the list for $21. I can't imagine doing much research before I'd just yank out the credit card and make a quick web visit to the on-line vendor! :rolleyes:

14. chewie1012

I went to Circuit City and purchased a 5 port linksys switch for $39.99 I know it is not the best price but the job is tomorrow. I really wanted to rid myself of the router. Maybe next job.
    Does this mean it is possible?

15. JohnWill

Not really, but the explanation is long and involved. It's sufficient to say the WAN port is really just for the WAN connection. :)

16. chewie1012

Ok thanks John. I will use the switch. Hopefully I will learn from this experience and plan better next time.
    JERRY

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/129749

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice