1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Expanding my Wireless Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Whipon, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Whipon

Whipon Thread Starter

I have a D-Link WIFI router with an ip 192.168.0.1.
    Its in the first floor.
    The signal doesn't reach the ground floor. So I bought an Edimax EW7206APg with am ip 192.168.2.1 to use as a repeater.
    The problem is I donĀ“t know how to setup correctly the network to have internet access in the PC in the first floor and in the one at the ground floor. Actually I only managed to have web access on the one in the first floor, but not in the one at the ground floor.

The pc in the first floor is in the backyard of the house directly connected to the DI-524 by a ethernet cable, and a cable modem is connected to the router.
    The EW7206APg is 7 meters of the computer in the front of the house.
    The ground floor pc is almost exactly under the EW7206APg in the first floor. It receives average wifi signal.

I've had a little experience setting up a wireless lan, but this new configurations is a bit confusing, so, can you help me with this one, please?.

Thanks in advance ;).

Whipon.

2. Sponsor

3. estatelawyer

estatelawyer

Well, you can always run a long cable between the computer and the router. That is what we had to do before wireless. My son-in-law ran a cable into a closet on the second floor, up to the attic, all the way across and out the other side of the house, down a drain pipe, through the frame of the basement door, and into the computer in his office in the basement. Over 30 meters. Works great.

4. jmwills

jmwills

Heres's what you need to do:

Get a second wireless router and give the seocnd router a static IP address within the scope of the first router. YOu will need to know the range (scope) of the addresses, the subnet, the gateway address and DNS server IP.

Get this info form running an ipconfig /all

In your example your scope would be 192.168.0.101-254 so give the wireless an address of 192.168.0.150, subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.0.1. DNS will come form the ipconfig /all

Enter that info into the setup page of the second router and turn OFF DHCP on the second router. Obviously, the seceond router needs to be hard wired to the first. The trick is to plug the CAT5 cable from the first to the second router into one of the switch ports, not the WAN port.

That will do it.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't have time now to find and read the user manual for your new AP, but assuming that it does have 'repeater' or 'extender' mode the general setup is to connect a computer to it via ethernet, set it to 'repeater' mode, configure the wireless to your router's SSID, etc., and then try using the wireless.

7. Whipon

Whipon Thread Starter

Both the Edimax AP and the D-Link router are wireless. Do I really need to wire connect the two of them?. Its not possible to just configure the AP in the same subnet as the router and turn off the DHCP server of the AP?. The Edimax AP has a universal repeater mode.
    Making a cable to connect the two of them will be very difficult in my house u_u.
    I managed to get internet in the pc of the groundfloor, but the connection dissapeared in the first floor pc.
    Actually there's web acces in the first floor pc. The signal reaches very well to the ground floor pc, but it has no internet connection.

Thanks again ;).

8. Whipon

Whipon Thread Starter

Well, with a bit of patience I managed to do it:

I configured the D-Link wifi router with the usual security options (64 bit hex key and mac filtering). The SSID, the Ip range of the DHCP server to 192.168.0.50 - 192.168.0.199.

The Edimax AP as Universal Repeater with the same security options except the mac filtering (the router does this job, right?), a random mac address (obviously this mac address is configured in the D-Link router), a IP under the same subnet as the router (192.168.0.91) and the gateway as 192.168.0.1. DHCP server off.

Now I have web access in the two computers at the same time!. The signal in the groundfloor pc is at 50 % enough to share the internet connection.

I want to give my thanks to all of you who helped me with this one. I was a bit confused and bypassed some important points :p.

Thanks again.

Whipon.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You should have the AP in the same subnet but outside the Dhcp server address range. The way you have it now the router could assign 192.168.0.91 to a computer and you would get "duplicate IP address" error. Best to set the AP to 192.168.0.2 thru .49 or .200 thru .254.

Doesn't really matter where you do MAC address filtering--it adds no security and makes your network harder for you to use. The only real wireless security is WPA2 or WPA encryption. WEP encryption will keep most people out.

10. Whipon

Whipon Thread Starter

I'll fix the IP address right now. Thank you ;).

Whipon.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/685463

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice