1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Expanding storage space (reccomendations)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BigDaveinNJ, May 17, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. BigDaveinNJ

BigDaveinNJ Thread Starter

I recently bought a small Dell Laptop (https://bit.ly/2VJvTmf) and as you can see it only has 32gb of eMMc storage.

What could be done to increase this without too much difficulty as I am NOT very computer savvy.

Should I buy a 64gb or 128gb flash stick or is there a better option for me? Cost is also a factor.

Also.... would I be able to install programs on this expanded storage or would it be for things like photos and music?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you
    David

2. etech2019

etech2019

depending on what you want to store photos,videos and music flash disk will do just fine but if you need install program and stuff i will advice you get a larger internal storage(eMMc) to handle that

3. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    From what I can see on the Dell website (where it's actually cheaper than your link), it doesn't appear to be upgradeable. (ie: the main storage drive).

You can use the cloud or external storage for files, data, etc. as noted above.

4. BigDaveinNJ

BigDaveinNJ Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I definitely don't wanna have to open up the PC. For me.... way over my head.

A few friends have told me that this unit doesn't really have a hard drive per say so I am gonna have to go the external route.

It has a multi-card reader slot but since I got this on ebay it csme without instructions such as what type of SD card should I use or what capacity etc.... Guess I will have to do some research.

Thanks again

David

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    A bit off topic: It is next to criminal to sell a computer running Windows 10 with only a 32GB hd!
    I'm reading reviews on BestBuy's site and one person posted that after the OS is installed, there is about 6GB left on the ssd.

A word of caution: you will probably have to do a clean install every time MS releases a new version of 10 because with the installed OS there won't be enough room to download the new version on to this laptop to install it.

Card reader microSD (SD/SDHC/SDXC)
    though I'm not sure if it is limited as to capcity. Since it supports all 3 varieteis, I went looking and discovered that sd has a size of 2GB or less. SDHC has a size of more than 2GB up to 32 GB and SDXC has a size of more than 32GB up to 2TB so it looks like there is no size limit on the capacity. Watch for sales and grab some micro sd cards. I use them in my android tablets so I keep an eye open for sales.

Manual https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-11-3180-laptop/manuals

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227259

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice