Expanding the screen?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Abie2

I was visiting a web site and when i wanted to check a link within it, i get a message that it would be to my advantage to expand the screen. Now its been years since I ever had to expand a screen on my desktop, I seem to recall at one time, in order to do this, you go to the corners with your mouse. I just tried that out and i do not get any effect in doing that. Of course i have the usual toolbar....does anyone know how this can be done? BTW, if it matters, i am using Firefox.

Couriant

James
Using the corners is the manual way. this button is to expand to full screen.

1620396810485.png

Pressing it again will revert to the size you had before.

Abie2

Using the corners is the manual way. this button is to expand to full screen.

View attachment 287461

Pressing it again will revert to the size you had before.
If your referring to the middle icon between the Minimize and the "X", mine is always set at Max...so I don't see any other icon that your showing here. BTW, I am still using and happily, Windows 7.

Couriant

James
That was Chrome and it's the same icon for both Max Screen and Restore Down. To Full Screen in Firefox is the middle one here:

1620406298187.png

As to the site, are you being hampered? Does it appear to be an informational message?

What site are you referring to?

Abie2

That was Chrome and it's the same icon for both Max Screen and Restore Down. To Full Screen in Firefox is the middle one here:

View attachment 287465

As to the site, are you being hampered? Does it appear to be an informational message?

What site are you referring to?
Its my daily sport site....MLB Baseball lineup...when i check the "Scores link", it goes to a blank screen with the caption..."It would be better if you could expand the height and length to read them." First time ever getting that message using that link.

Couriant

James
hmm try a different browser to see if you get the same issue.

Abie2

hmm try a different browser to see if you get the same issue.
Tried Chrome, same problem. I think maybe its meant to get rid of the top toolbar and whatever else is at the top, but I do not know how to do that, also, i do not have a video card my desktop video is integrated, so maybe that limits me.

Couriant

James
F11 is to make your browser "full screen" (i.e without any tabs/bookmarks etc). that should help

Does not 'ctrl' & '+' or '-' work with your browser?
Also I use 'Zoom Page WE' with Firefox (add-on)

Couriant

James
Then I suspect you have the same issue I have, which is you need to use Fn+F11.

If you have an Fn key on the bottom left of your keyboard, hold that then press F11. Make sure you are not in any text boxes.

Couriant

James
Worse case, you can press the ALT key to bring up the legacy menu and go to View > Full Screen

1620485285251.png

Abie2

Then I suspect you have the same issue I have, which is you need to use Fn+F11.

If you have an Fn key on the bottom left of your keyboard, hold that then press F11. Make sure you are not in any text boxes.
No FN on my desktop keyboard. I do see the numbers increase with ctr + from 100-400 but it only seems to effect the fonts... Am i suppose to get rid of all the top toolbars and etc.? If I do, how?

Abie2

OK, some partial success....viewing in Firefox, i went to menu and sure enough there is a 'button' with various arrows, click on that and it made the screen bigger...but here is the caveat, once in that mode, I can't get back to normal screen, cause in the large mode there is no menu that i can get to in order to undo it. I pressed all the tabs on the keyboard with no luck. I had to open task manager and remove the window and then went back to normal. I was hoping that i could get back the Firefox menu to undo it. Apparently, FF has its own set of rules.

plodr

Liz
The Fn (function key) is lower left between the left ctrl key and the windows key.

The Microsoft media keyboard has the Fn key on the lower right aside of the Alt key.

If you are on a laptop, simply press the F11 key along the top row. To get the title and search back, press F11 again.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online